Thread: Sherry Prawns

Thanks

Sherry Prawns

As long as you don't overcook the shrimp, it's hard not to have a hit with this one. Excellent with crab legs, too.

1 1/2 pounds of raw shrimp (the intermediate sizes "Large" or "Jumbo", 31-35 count/pound, work well), shells removed
    1 1/2 pounds of fresh mushrooms, cut into quarters or eighths, depending on size
    3 green onions, chopped
    1 1/2 cups of chopped parsley (loosely packed)
    1 - 2 cups regular sherry, not the dry cocktail sherry, unless that's all you have in the house!
    1/4 - 1/2 stick of butter, or more to taste
    Salt and pepper
    Lemon (optional, in wedges, at serving time)

Prep all your ingredients, except the parsley. You can leave the shrimp in icy cold water unless you prefer to flour them, but that's a totally different recipe (see Variation #1).

Use a pot with a tight-fitting lid. Melt 1/4 stick of butter on medium high, and drop in the green onions and stir them around. You should smell the onion smell. Then throw in the mushrooms. Cook them in the butter, turning every 30-60 seconds, for a few minutes. They should start shrinking, browning lightly, releasing water. Feel free to use more butter.

Once the mushrooms have had the benefit of browning a bit, add a cup of sherry and cover tightly. Let the liquids migle and make a broth. Stir every few minutes. You can use this time to chop parsley. The mushrooms should shrink down by at least half and the smell should be intoxicating. Everyone in the house will want some right now.

Drain your shrimp. If the freshness of your shrimp is suspect, you can dry it in paper towels, roll it in salt, and let it rest for 5 minutes, then rinse it again. Make sure you rinse well to avoid an oversalted flavor.

Add the shrimp to the mushroom broth. If there isn't enough liquid, add more sherry. You won't need the lid any more. You might need a tissue to defog your glasses. Stir frequently, watching for the shrimp to lose their gray color. Once they are bright pink, immediately take the pot off the heat. Decide whether you want the broth as is, or whether you want to reduce it a bit (in which case, use a slotted spoon to remove the shrimp before returning the pot to the fire, then return to shrimp to the pot, turn off the heat, and continue). Stir in the parsley. Taste the broth and assess whether it needs more butter or salt (or butter containing salt), and add pepper to taste.

Transfer the contents to a serving dish and serve with freshly reheated french bread (optional), potatoes (optional), salad (optional), or whatever.

Variation #1

Flour (1/2 cup maybe...)
    Cornstarch (optional)

The above recipe is a lightened up version; the original involves actually sauteeing the shrimp in butter, which probably gives them a bit better flavor. Pat dry shrimp and dredge in flour spiked with salt and pepper. Melt 1/2 stick of butter instead of 1/4, drop in the shrimp and cook them medium-well, pink all over. Spoon them out into the serving dish and keep reasonably warm.

Add a small bit of sherry to loosen any stuck-on flour, then more butter, and the green onions, then the mushrooms, then the sherry, as in the first recipe. As you cook down the sherry, the flour should give it a thicker consistency than the mushroom broth recipe. If you want it to be even thicker, use cornstarch diluted in cold water (or cold sherry). Pour the sauce over the shrimp, which should reheat quickly, and serve. Sprinkle the parsley over.

Variation #2

Variation #1 can be made very successfully with chicken, although the coloration is dull. You might want to pour it in a ring of broccoli or mix in carrot shreds, or red pepper slivers, etc. Water chestnuts give it more texture and blend in color-wise...

Have fun!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Sherry Prawns

I'm dribbling over my keyboard. It sounds divine and I can picture it perfectly. I may try this tonight with a couple of chopped cloves of garlic for good measure.

Just one question, how many ounces is a stick of butter?

Lounger
    Thanks

...or grams? (The metric police may be watching)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Usually refers to a quarter pound ( 4 ounces)

Thanks

Yes, exactly. Most butter here is sold in quarter-pound sticks.

Regrettably, I'm useless when it comes to metric measurements.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Oh, yeah! I'm thinking shrimp tonight. Definitely with garlic ... say 2-3 cloves. . . . maybe over pasta

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Jefferson,
    What exactly is that user pic anyway? It looks like an upside down duck decoy floating in a swimming pool. I'm sure it can't be that.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Do you mind? That's my brother!

Admittedly, he didn't get the good looks in the family.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Ah! It's a fish. So that's your brother and this is your father. Wonder (NOT) what your kids look like.

Thanks

It's the Raccoon Butterflyfish! This one was photographed in Hanauma Bay, on the island of Oahu, Hawaii, USA during October 2002. Not the best photo, but...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

Another cousin... the Milletseed Butterflyfish. This one was photographed on the reef off Ulua Beach, on Maui, Hawaii, USA, in October 2002.
    Attached Images Attached Images

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Ah! I see, said the blind man, as he picked up his hammer and saw [...] I withdraw my duck decoy comment!