Thread: File Extension

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

File Extension

I'm trying to clean up my hard drive using jv16 Power Tools. I searched for zero byte files and the 328 files with .lnk extensions were flagged.
    Is it safe to delete such files?

Many thanks

Rob
    <font color=blue><font face="Script MT Bold"><big>Rob</big></font face=script></font color=blue>

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: File Extension

These are shortcuts and I usually delete them on a selective basis, and I usually purge the OFFICERECENT list of shortcuts (.lnk) entries where a great many accrue. The links on the quick launch bar, system tray, and desktop I leave alone.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Preston. If I were to delete all the shortcuts flagged by jvc16, could I then re-establish only those that may need?

Rob
    <font color=blue><font face="Script MT Bold"><big>Rob</big></font face=script></font color=blue>

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'm not familiar with jvc16 but if it isolates links or shortcuts to files that are no longer available (deleted) then deleting those old shortcuts should be just fine.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Rob:
    <hr>If I were to delete all the shortcuts flagged by jvc16, could I then re-establish only those that may need?<hr>
    You could, but if you did, your ENTIRE start menu would be BLANK!! Is that really what you want? I think you'd be better off isolating them & then deleting what you don't want.

You can:
    1. Click an empty spot on the taskbar & press F3.
    2. Make sure that the look in box is your primary hard drive & that "include subfolders" is ticked.
    3. Type
    *.lnk
    in the "named" box & search.

Then you'll see where each is kept. If you right click the start menu & choose Explore, you'll be able to delete all those that you don't want. Personally, I want to keep a shortcut to each program somewhere on the start menu. Otherwise, the program just gets "lost".

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your time and advice, Phil and Preston!

Rob