4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Task Mgr Closing IE and Other Windows (WXP Pro SP1)

Occassionally, if I have a number of windows open in the browser, and a few other things going on--WMP, OE newsgroup but with CPU usage minimal, 0-10% and System Idle Processes 90% or better free, and I "End Task" on a specific site or utility, the rest of the browser windows will all follow suit and close on their own. Is this a glitch? Is there anything wrong with using End Task to kill a window electively if you aren't forced?

Thanks,

defrag

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Task Mgr Closing IE and Other Windows (WXP Pro SP1)

When you choose "End Task" to stop the PROCESS (for example, Internet Explorer), it will stop all instances of this process (all browser windows). Outlook Express is part of Internet Explorer, and if you choose to close iexplore.exe process, Outlook Express will be closed as well.
    If you want to close one of the instances, click Applications tab on Task Manager window, select the application (for example, Woody's Longue - Microsoft Internet Explorer) and click End Task button.
    For more information, see Using Windows Task Manager

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Kapblinb--

But that's precisely the problem I'm posting. I always use the "Applciations tab" and never use the Processes tab unless it's a process I want to try to end. I know if you go over to the next tab and end an instance of iesplorer.exe, your going to close all browser process including OE which is of course a component of IE. It is selecting the application on that tab that causes a mass close sometimes of everything open in the browser instead of being able to end task on Woody's Lounge only.

defrag

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

My understanding is that when you "end task" an application, it halts any related processes, thus all the instances of that program (i.e. each browser window closing) are closed. W2K and XP have always behaved in that manner for me, so I assume this is by design.