Thread: HELP!!!!!

New Lounger
    Thanks

HELP!!!!!

My outlook 2k will not start anymore. i didn't do anything to it. honest. i was reading my email and it locked up. so i rebooted and tried outlook again. it locked up again. this time when i rebooted, dbl clicked on outlook, the splash screen came up and that's as far as it got. i tried doing repair, reinstall, uninstall and reinstall. no luck. i'm afraid it may be the messages that i recieved. i havn't been deleting them 'cuz they are too important. maybe they got to be too much. i think i was told once that all the messages were kept in a single file somewhere. kinda like a database. if i were to find that file and move it, could i start outlook then? as soon as this happend, i rememberd outlook express and i was able to import all my messages from outlook 2kp. even all the folders. so i could delete that mysteriuos file. right? anyone?...(crickets) oh boy... i'm in big trouble here. :-(
    well, thanks for the help in advance.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: HELP!!!!!

outlook kjeeps all it's stuffi n a file called *.pst. It can be up to 2 gig in size.

You can run scanpst to check it. Search for scanpst then do what it says.

Outlook includes some startup switches you can try - i'd start with /nopreview to disable preview, in case it was a bad html message. Then maybe /cleanviews or /safe. Open the Start > run dialog and browse to outlook's exe then add the switch. It will look like this:
    "c:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOfficeOutlook.exe." /safe

See <A target="_blank" HREF=http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q197/1/80.asp>Q197180</A> for more switches and instructions.

New Lounger
    Thanks

shucks, i thought you had something there. ;-) i was able to get it to start with the /safe switch but that was it. all other switches that microsoft refers to don't allow it to work. it still stops responding at the splash screen. i was able to check all files and i deleted everything hoping it was a malformed message but that didn't help either. i also ran the scan on that pst file. it didn't find anything wrong with it (so i guess i was barking up the wrong tree). i then tried to just delete the pst file. when i started outlook, it knew what i did right away and made me create a new one, but that didn't work either. i guess the pst file was just not at fault. it must be somthing wrong with the program. now that i imported everything into outlook express, i guess i can go ahead with messing with the program again to see if i can fix it from there [img]/forums/images/smilies/sad.gif[/img]
    but i really don't know what else to do after uninstalling office and then reinstalling it. i haven't tried uninstalling and killing old registry setting yet. then reinstalling it may reset some of those settings. (now i'm really scared. 60 gigs of info is hard to replace) well, i guess i better get started on an all night back up job :-(
    thanks for your help MaryJ. it is much appreciated.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

are you using any addins? if safe let it load, then most likely an addin is causing the problems. tools | options | other tab | advanced button.