5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

AGP vs PCI VIDEO CARD

I am "re-working" an older system and ran into problems with the video card. I am setting the unit up as a dual-boot with WIN 98 and WIN XP. It is a new hard drive. As I am loading WIN 98 - I ran into problems with the video card - a JATON video-107 AGP. Not sure what caused the problem but it simply would not work properly. So I pulled it out and put in a PCI video card (S3 Trio32/64) Should I be looking for a new video card - an AGP? I do not do gaming but do some graphics (photo-editing). Or will this one meet my basic needs? My processor is a Celeron 700 MHZ and I have 224 MB RAM. Everything seems to be working just fine at this point.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: AGP vs PCI VIDEO CARD

Well Trebor, I guess the proof is in the pudding. If it does what you need it to, upgrading isn't going to do much for you. Why upgrade if you are satisfied with what you have now? Does the card seem acceptable in performance to you as a user? The only way to really answer if this is going to meet your basic needs is to fire up your graphically intense applications - those you use to do photo editing - and see what you think.

If the system seems a little hesitant with the S3 card, then it's time to start looking at other low cost solutions. But not until you have determined that it just won't do what you need it to.
    -Mark

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: AGP vs PCI VIDEO CARD

Here is the most basic breakdown I can give you. AGP runs at 66MHz and is on its own bus to the CPU. PCI runs at 33MHz and shares all PCI slots on the same bus.If you are making money with the computer get an AGP. If it is a "toy" buy an AGP for your Christmas present. If it keeps the kids out of your hair stick with what you have.