New Lounger
    Thanks

template woes (97)

Dear loungers,

I need to create a new Word template for a client (for use by in-house software developers to create formal reports - it's a govt dept), but have a few queries.

1. Is it possible to create a basic style not based on Normal?

2. Is it a good idea to stick with the default names of the Word reserved heading styles (mainly for the comfot of the users), when I don't want to use the default settings?

3. I created an Appendix style, following the Word help topic, but when I go to modify the style attributes, and choose to customise the outline numbered list, then choose: Link Level to Style Appendix one (as specified in the help topic), I get the name of the newly created style displaying as: Appendix 1 Appendix 1. Should I delete the link, or can I just edit the name?

4. Finally - the boss wants a 2-row table in the footer to hold version, author, file name, status, page name and such. He wants some of the info left-aligned, and some right-aligned. If I use the body text style for the table rows, I can do this, but if I swap to the style: footer (which I'd prefer to do), I can only set 1 alignment for all cells in the table. Is there a logical reason for this, or can it be overcome??

many thanks in advance

Glennie-lou

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: template woes (97)

Hi Glennie-lou:
    >>1. Is it possible to create a basic style not based on Normal?<<

<font color=blue>Yes. You can create a style based on no style, if you want. You can build a whole hierarchy of styles based on that style, if you wish. Just go to Format/Style... & choose New... When the dialog box opens, change the based on box to "no style".</font color=blue>

>>2. Is it a good idea to stick with the default names of the Word reserved heading styles <snip>, when I don't want to use the default settings?<<

<font color=blue>The advantage of doing so is that you can modify each of the headings, but they will still work with the TOC & you can use the built-in Alt+Shift+arrow to promote or demote. And they seem to be fairly stable. You have to be careful, though, that documents are NOT set under Tools/Templates & add-ins... to "automatically update document styles". Also, your styles, under Format/Style.../Modify should NOT be set to "Automatically update". These settings produce unexpected changes in your styles.

Whether to modify the built-in styles or to give unique names to styles has been the subject of other threads. IMHO, it really depends upon what type of work you do; i.e. Do you mainly send out documents that you wish to remian the same? Do you receive documents that you must reformat? Do you collaborate on documents with others in the same firm? in a different firm? etc.</font color=blue>

>>3. I created an Appendix style, following the Word help topic, but when I go to modify the style attributes, and choose to customise the outline numbered list, then choose: Link Level to Style Appendix one (as specified in the help topic), I get the name of the newly created style displaying as: Appendix 1 Appendix 1. Should I delete the link, or can I just edit the name?<<

<font color=blue>There is a post by Gary Frieder, WMPV, that describes the proper way to link numbering to styles. I can't search for it right now (too many windows open). It was earlier this year.</font color=blue><font color=red> Just found <post#=76976>post 76976</post#>, which should help</font color=red>

>>4. Finally - the boss wants a 2-row table in the footer to hold version, author, file name, status, page name and such. He wants some of the info left-aligned, and some right-aligned. If I use the body text style for the table rows, I can do this, but if I swap to the style: footer (which I'd prefer to do), I can only set 1 alignment for all cells in the table. Is there a logical reason for this, or can it be overcome??<<

<font color=blue>I can't duplicate this problem. If I create a 2 row/3 column table, I can press Ctrl+L & Ctrl+R in different cells to create the respective alignments. If you prefer not to have direct formatting, you could also create two new styles: FooterLeft & FooterRight.</font color=blue>

Hope this helps.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Phil,

Many thanks for the advice and for the link to Gary's e-mail - I'll follow his advice.

I am very much aware of the dangers of leaving 'automatically update' set on - I won't be around to monitor usage of the template, I'm just doing a short contract job.

Am still having problems with the Footer style - it simply won't let me have more than 1 alignment in the entire table (I can't work out why), so I'l use my own Table Text style in the footer instead.

regards

Glennie-lou

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Glennie-lou,

I think Phil answered your 1-3 items. Let me take a crack at #4:

>4. Finally - the boss wants a 2-row table in the footer to hold version, author, file name, status, page name and such. He wants some of the info left-aligned, >and some right-aligned. If I use the body text style for the table rows, I can do this, but if I swap to the style: footer (which I'd prefer to do), I can only set 1 >alignment for all cells in the table. Is there a logical reason for this, or can it be overcome??

You said you were using (or the boss wanted) a 2-row table to align things left and right. You never mentioned how many cols you have altho I'm assuming you put at least 2 cols: col 1 for the things left aligned and col 2 for the things right aligned. Personally, I'd make this 3 cols for the things to be centered and make the middle col small if it's not used.

Anyway, I'll assume you're working with 2 cols anyway but my explanation below is the same regardless of 2 or 3 cols.

The problem I'm seeing in Word 2000 (and it would probably be the same in 97) is as follows: The footer style is set up NOT to work in a table. It is a para style with a center tab at 3 inches and a right tab at 6 inches. If you use footer style in the table, here's what I see:
    - left column no problem; you should observe the tab indicators on the horizontal ruler where I mentioned them to be (unless you changed the style def)
    - middle column (I used 3 cols but you'll see in a moment it doesn't matter for a 2 col table): when I put my insertion point there, Word, properly, thinks this is a new para (in effect, each cell of a table is treated as a separate para). So the 3" and 6" tab stops are offset as 3" and 6" from the left margin of the center col. If you try hitting the ctrl+tab to get to the supposed 3" tab stop, funny things will happen to the col. You're telling Word to go to the 3" tab stop for the center col but the tab stop is over at the 5" mark relative to the page whereas the middle col ends at 4". Just can't do - if you try, Word stretches the middle column.
    - right column: same thing. The 3" and 6" tab stops are offset 3" and 6" from the left margin of the right column (and you may not even be able to see the 6" tab).

So trying to use the footer style by hitting the ctrl+tab (in a table) to get to the proper spot in the table kind of messes things up.

Solutions:
    - use body text as you suggested and right align the para in the right col of the table (but you are not using the right-alignment tab of the footer style). You can also right align the para in the right col using the footer style (at least I can).
    - reset the tabs in each cell so as to create direct formatting for the footer style (only kidding, it'll work but it's a terrible solution)
    - don't use a table and use the footer style as intended.

Frankly, I would use the last solution. The first solution would be good if the boss thinks a particular item might flow onto more than one line - using the table approach makes it a little easier (not much) to add text in the first row and let it flow to a 2nd line. If the boss wants borders around the entry, then the table approach is easier.

HTH.

Fred

New Lounger
    Thanks

Fred,

Thank you - that explains it! Uh duh - I never thought of looking at the tab settings (I've also just had a year off work, so the brain is a bit rusty!).

It's actually a 4-column table - I'm doing a job for a government department, and they want heaps of small bits of info in the footer. Without a table, we'd end up with a 3-line footer, which I don't think they'd like. If they only wanted 2 columns I'd definitely opt for the default footer style, but I may have to keep the table and use my own style.

thanks again

Glennie-lou