5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

zone alarm alerts (XP PRO)

Not sure which forum this belongs on but ..... I keep getting a ZONE ALARM alert as follows "The firewall has blocked Internet access to your computer (ICMP Unreachable) from 192.168.1.1." From what I have been able to research, the "entity" trying to access my computer is simply sending a message that it received a message from me and whoever I was sending it to was unreachable. It seems my system is sending something out "continuously" as I get the ZA alerts continuously. Any idea what could be sending out messages from my system???

Thanks

Re: zone alarm alerts (XP PRO)

Have you checked your Outlook Express/ Tools/Options/ Receipts tab to see if the request read receipts for all sent messages is unchecked? This will ask for a receipt message for any emails you send. That's one possiblity!
    Bob
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sounds like you have a LinkSys router. If so, that's the router's IP address.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Bob,

Nope, that is not it. No check in request receipts box.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I do have a linksys router. But why would it be trying to access my computer? Or what is trying to go "through" it to reach my computer. Strange?????

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I'd bet it's NetBEUI on another computer trying to broadcast itself. Any other systems attached to the router?
    -Mark

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes I do have another one - I will check to see if NETBEUI is enabled on it.

Thanks

Hi trebor,
    The Zone Alarm FAQ pages have a lot on what seems to be the exact message you describe.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Some ISPs check periodically to see if their dial-up customers are still connected. If it appears that you are not there, such an ISP will disconnect you so that your IP address can be given to someone else.

For ZoneAlarm Pro users, there are several solutions. One is to set Internet security to "Medium." You can set the security level for the Internet zone in ZoneAlarm Pro's Security panel. If your ISP checks your connection by pinging you, then this allows the ping but the firewall still blocks NetBIOS access to your computer from the Internet. In addition, you remain protected by ZoneAlarm's unique application control feature. Only those applications that you approve can connect to, or accept connections from, the Internet.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Plus much more at http://www.zonelabs.com/store/conten...NetworkFAQ.jsp
    I think the answer is there.
    Bob
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I too have a Linksys router and when I first installed ZA I had to put the router's IP number in my TRUSTED ZONES but I can't remember now what happened or why I had to do it. Do you let the router assign IP numbers to your machines with DHCP?