Lounger
    Thanks

Favorite/Address icon (FP 2000)

I have a question about adding the small customized "favorite" icons to my website, so they will appear in the address bar and the favorites folder. There is a site called "favicon.com" that has tools to create the icons, but my question pertains to actually inserting the icons in my website and getting them to work.

I have been able to create a "favicon", but am having trouble making it appear on my website (more accurately- in my favorites folder and on the address bar). One source says this:

"Place favicon.ico in the root directory of your Web site, as in http://www.mydomain.com/favicon.ico. This is where Internet Explorer will look for a Favorites icon whenever someone bookmarks a page on that domain. If you aren't master of your domain, or if you want to iconify only an individual page, you can also put this HTML into the HEAD of any Web page:"

How do I place the icon in the root directory of my website using Frontpage 2000, so it will then appear where it should?

Thanks

Re: Favorite/Address icon (FP 2000)

Simply place it in the highest folder of your web - most likely where you have your default.htm or index.htm pages. It will be loaded when you update your web.

If you want to make extra sure - or want to put it in another folder - add the following tag in the header of your web page:

<LINK REL="SHORTCUT ICON" HREF="http://www.company.com/favicon.ico">

(where www.company.com is your own true web address.)

Lounger
    Thanks

Leif-
    Thanks for the prompt reply. I have done what you suggested, and the icon still does not appear. I have re-published the web, refreshed my browser after republishing, and deleted, then re-stored the link in the favorites folder. No luck. Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Try left-click-drag the "e" icon in the address bar to the right about 1" two or three times - this sometimes kick starts it.

>>>>>>
    Hmm. I've just noticed that none of mine (or other sites I know that have them) appear to show in my address bar, although they are displayed in my Favorites. It is possible to display them simply by typing in the url for them, thus:

http://www.wopr.com/w3timages/favicon.ico

but I now can't get even Lex to show up in my address bar.

I wonder if MS have anything to do with this . . .

Lounger
    Thanks

Leif-
    I tried the dragging thing, still no work-y, although sites that I have bookmarked with custom icons in my favorites folder DO display properly in the address bar. I did just bookmark those sites recently, so maybe if your bookmarks are older than the last time you cleaned up old cookies, they need to be refreshed?

This should be easier. Thanks for trying to help. Please let me know if you can think of any other suggestions.

Lounger
    Thanks

I may have found the problem. When I first created the icon, it was named "faveicon.ICO", somehow the extension was capitalized. I renamed it to "faveicon.ico", and re-published the web, then left-click-and-dragged the existing e-icon in the address bar a bit to the right twice to get it to refresh and this time it worked. It now appears correctly in the address bar and the favorites folder. I don't know if the all-CAPS was the problem, but I won't look a gift horse in the mouth.
    Thanks for the help, Leif.

Thanks

Glad you got somewhere in the end!
    Only a minor point, but did you mean
    fav<big>e</big>icon.ico
    or
    favicon.ico
    ?
    It probably doesn't matter if you have the META tag in the head pointing to the actual spelling. . .

Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry, I meant "favicon.ico".