New Lounger
    Thanks

User customization (XPP-SP!)

New to XP but an old hand at computers...

I have several family members to manage on my XPP setup. How do I keep, for example, my daughter's AOL Inst Msgr from loading when I login (assuming I'm first to use the computer since bootup)? How can I prevent my wife's Quicken icon from showing on my daughter's desktop or even the Start list? Really trying to streamline the computer for simplest, fastest operation for each person.

I've gathered quite a few sites' XP tips etc but can't find much help for this issue.

Thanks much (my first post here)

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: User customization (XPP-SP!)

Mitch, Windows XP has the MSCONFIG tool to control startup options. My personal preference, though, is Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel because it can move startup items from "All Users" to the currently logged on user. To use XP's built in utility, click on Start - Run and enter MSCONFIG. And check out Mike Lin's applet - very handy and easy to use.
    -Mark

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm not familiar with the utility Mark mentioned, so you should probably go give it a look. But, if you're enough of an "old hand" with computers you CAN do it manually, as Mark says. The reason you need to be an old hand is that each case (example) might need to be "fixed" in a different manner. For Desktop icons, you can move them from one user's desktop to another in Windows Explorer, in the Documents and Settings folder. Changing the AOL thingie would probably take a combination of MSCONFIG and maybe the correct user's Startup entry in the Start Menu. I'm not familiar with how that one works. I do stuff like this for my son and me on this computer.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Right-click Start button in the lower left corner of the screen and from pop-up menu choose "Explore all users". Then move all shortcuts you want from Start Menu, Start MenuPrograms and especially Start MenuProgramsStartup to corresponding folders under <username>Start menu etc.