Thanks

Alt+Tab Not Working

I'm using Windows ME. Alt+Tab and Ctrl+Alt+Del no longer seem to be working on my system. However, Alt, Tab, and Ctrl work individually. Could this be a virus or what? I ran Norton's, but didn't find anything, but maybe it's bypassed Norton's. Any suggestions to get these keystrokes working again? Thx. -Rich.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: Alt+Tab Not Working

Rich, Have you installed any new hardware or software? Have you updated any software? Do you have a restore point available at which time you knew the key sequences were working? What does happen when you use Alt+Tab or Ctrl+Alt+Del?

Joe
    Joe

Thanks

Absolutely nothing happens when I press those key combinations. If I just press Alt, it highlights the menu in the program that's active. Del works normally in programs, and so does Ctrl. It's just when they are used together.

I don't think I installed anything, although my daughter installed Kazaa about two weeks ago, and I deleted some of the adware garbage it installed. I hadn't thought of a restore point. I don't know when the keys were working, but it had to be within the last few weeks. I may just try a restore. I'm about to upgrade to XP anyway. I just haven't had the time or felt comfortable enough yet with my backup to wipe out everything on the computer! ;-)

Thx.

-Rich.

Administrator
    Thanks

Rich, I'd guess that Kazaa was involved if it was working prior to that install. If you are moving to XP soon take a look at this thread
    Upgrade from ME to XP Pro (version 4.90.3000) for a discussion of upgrade vs clean install.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks

Thanks for the advice. I was going to do a clean install, and that's why I've been hesitating because I wanted to make sure my last backup was good before wiping out my hard drive. -Rich.

Administrator
    Thanks

Rich, What backup tool are you using? Are you aware that the backups made with the Windows backup tool are not compatible between versions?

Joe
    Joe

Thanks

I'm using something that's design to synchronize between a network drive and a laptop, and I'm just using it to synchronize between my PC and my portable HDD, so I'm not using Windows Backup. I'm also only copying my data files, and some setup files, not anything else. Thx. -Rich.

Administrator
    Thanks

Rich, You may want to export your favorites & cookies from your browser of choice so they are saved with the rest of your data. Somehow, I usually manage to forget those when upgradin machines. Good luck with the upgrade. IMHO, you'll like XP a lot.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks

Thanks for the reminder, but I'm backing those folders up as well. -Rich.