Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Exclusively Locked Tables (Access 97)

Open the relationships layout. Now you can select a connection between the tables and right click it to either edit or delete the relationship. Removing tables from the layout won't remove the relationship, only deleting the relationship itself. However, I don't see how the relationships layout would display multiple relations between the tables unless your table design leaves something to be desired. A lookup table should contain one kind of thing, and it should be related to the larger table through a single key. If you lookup table contains several different kinds of things and you have linked it to the larger table on each of those things, your problem can be solved by breaking it up into multiple tables and linking each of them to the larger table separately. Otherwise, this is never going to work.
    Charlotte

New Lounger
    Thanks

Exclusively Locked Tables (Access 97)

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by Knobbie on 17-Nov-02 17:38. I am including more information than the first post.)</P>I am using Access 97 and am just building a database. I have a table that simply consists of 5 or 6 line items that are being used in the look up format of a larger table. Somewhere along the line that table has made 4 or 5 connections (as viewed through the relations window) to the larger table referencing it. I tried to run a report and an error occurs that forces the report to open in design view and the message box tells me that the table is "exclusively locked" or it that the table has been renamed or misspelled. However any queries I run pull up the data from that table without any problems. What is going on that I get this error message and how do I correct it? Is there a way I can break all the relations and then add them back on to make the information from this table shows up at the report level?

Amendment 11/17/02
    I have tried to reconnect the relations through the relations window, and through the design of the table. To figure out where the problem occurs I have attempted to run a report of the table itself and I get the same error message. The table is a list of 5 words that are accessed through a look up in a larger table and I am unsure as to how I am still getting the message that the table name is spelled incorrectly when I build the report using the report wizard. Is there a way I can export the table and then bring it back into the database and reconnect it with any success?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Exclusively Locked Tables (Access 97)

Is your database small enough and not sensitive information? If so, post it as an attachment to a new message in this thread and we can try to sort out what's going on. In addition, you might want to try a compact and repair - it sounds as though you either have some corruption, or something has been inadvertently renamed.
    Wendell