Super Moderator
    Thanks

Exclusive Use (Access 2000)

Sometimes I can make design changes to a shared Access 2k database simply by getting all other users to exit. In this case I am the only user, but do not have the db opened exclusively.
    Sometimes this isn't enough, I have to exit and reopen in exclusive mode.
    I am sure there must be a pattern in this, but I can't see it.
    Regards
    John

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Exclusive Use (Access 2000)

You mean that if you exit and open it again as shared, you can't make changes? That sounds like a lock is being held open somehow when everyone else exits. As long as there's no other lock on the database, you shouldn't need to open it exclusive in order to make design changes.
    Charlotte

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Should I have to exit and reopen?
    If I am forced to exit and reopen then I always reopen with exclusive access (by putting /excl) on the end of the shortcut.
    ( and then hoping I remember to take it out again!)
    Regards
    John

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

No, you shouldn't have to. You only have to be the sole person in the database and able to *appy* an exclusive lock on the database. Making design changes automatically applies an exclusive lock while you're making them. The same is true of compact on exit, which only works when you're the last person exiting the database.

I never open my databases exclusively and I have no trouble modifying them since I'm the only one in them. However, if this isn't a consistent problem then I'd still suspect that a lock is being left on the database by another user. By the way, we are talking about a front end or single file database here, right? Or directly opening a back end database without an instance of the front end being open? The fact that you can open it with the exclusive switch says that you can lock it, which means you shouldn't have to. If the database is on a server, you may be running into a network refresh problem of some kind I suppose. I stopped doing network stuff years ago, so I'm no longer current on their behaviors.

You might want to take a look at this thread if you haven't already done so.
    Charlotte

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

John,

Here is another thread to peruse.
    Charlotte