Cost.
    *) How can I refine this method? Add other cost colums and
    use a formula?
    *) When using other colums, will these costs automatically
    be added to the total cost?

Dries

Thanks

Re: Per diem Cost (project 2000)

If your perdiem cost is 100 per day, Go to the Resource Sheet, Add a new Resource and set the Standard Rate to $100/D.

Then assign the resource to the task. If the task is 10 days, the total cost would be $1,000. Suggest naming the resource PerDiem.

HTH
    Regards,

Gary
    (It's been a while!)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Gary,

the problem is more complex:
    * the resource is working on hourly basis
    * there are different per day costs/resource - depending on the calendar days the resource is incountry: hotel/car/daily allowance/....

that's the reason I want to make customised fields and add them to the total cost colum - I want to add them to the total cost colum, because then, all predefined fields as ACWP/BCWP/... are working based on this colum.

Br,
    Dries.

Thanks

Can we clarify what it is you are doing a bit more.

Are your per diem costs based on labor or non-labor costs? If I read your response correctly, then the resource has an hourly rate and then also receives a per-diem based on where they are working.

What do you mean there are different per day costs/ resource depending on the calendar days the resource is incountry? Are you saying the resource would have different billing rates based on where they are working or the job function they are doing? The Per Diem (assuming Non-Labor) would also change on the location of where they are working??

You could set up customized fields and do a calculation against them, however, I need to better understand what it is you are trying to do.
    Regards,

Gary
    (It's been a while!)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Gary,

thx for your reply: the thing I try to do is the following.

I have an installer and this guy needs to go out and do a job in another country:
    1. he is paid an hourly rate (100) and overtime rate (120) - he works 8h/day incountry ; 10h/day (8 normal and 2 overtime) abroad
    2. if this guy is abroad - he gets additional fees based on calendar days (and not on working days) like
    * car: 50/day
    * daily allowance: 50/day
    * local logistic eg telephone: 20/day

Now, the point is that inserting these customised fields etc, is no problem. The only thing is that a lot of precalculated fields are present in msp like acwp, bcwp, remaining cost etc... But these predefined fields are not taking into account the customised cost fields, so for exemple, cost1 is not added to the msp-total cost field.

Another thing is that I can not use the analyse timescaled button, to export the data to excel and have a nice graphic: you can not select the customised cost-fields!!!

So what I want to do is:
    1. insert customise fields (ok)
    2. have the "total cost" field takethese customised fields into account, so I can use
    * other pre-defined fields that are working based on this "total cost " field
    * the "total cost" field to excel with the magic "timescale analysis button" as it is impossible to select other fields to export to excel than the pre-defined msp-fields.

Best regards,
    Dries.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Gary,

The workaround that I now do is:
    1. create all my customised cost fields and a subtotal cost field
    2. copy the subtotal cost field manually to the Fixed Cost field

that is ofcourse not a neat solution.

Best regards,
    Dries.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I am not sure if this is what you are loooking for but...
    There are different cost rate tables that you can set up for each resource. Cost Table A is the default...the one you see on the resource sheet. However, if you double click on the resource in the resource sheet and click the cost tab you will find the different tables. Click on the B tab and enter the different cost information...
    Once you have set the different rates you can go to the task usage view and find those task that the resource is assigned to that incure these costs. Double click on the resource and the assignment information box comes up.
    At the bottom right you can select the correct cost rate table.
    Good Luck

Thanks

Dries,

Have you figured out how to make this work yet?
    Upon further review, I suggest the following:

You Said: << I have an installer and this guy needs to go out and do a job in another country:
    1. he is paid an hourly rate (100) and overtime rate (120) - he works 8h/day incountry ; 10h/day (8 normal and 2 overtime) abroad
    2. if this guy is abroad - he gets additional fees based on calendar days (and not on working days) like
    * car: 50/day
    * daily allowance: 50/day
    * local logistic eg telephone: 20/day >>

Response:
    - To get the above to work such that your ACWP, BCWS, etc fields work, I would still suggest that you set up your resources with an hourly rate. (In this case, you would need two rates, one for incountry and one or out of country) Then add another resource for per diem which in your case is 120 / Day. The task would then have two resources assigned, one for the resource and one for the per diem. The hourly resource is on a 5 day calendar. The per diem resource is on a seven day calendar. The Cost field will then calculate for the task as the hourly cost (Hourly resource) plus the daily cost (Per diem). I would also suggest that you assign the Resource and their associated Per Diem within the same group, Code, or with similar Resource Names (i.e., Res1 and Res1PerDiem) to allow you filter on like fields or for your excel analysis.

Unforturnately if you want the Total Cost field add the customized fields, you will need to do this in code. I would try the other alternative which should work as well.

Don't know if this helps. Good Luck.
    Regards,

Gary
    (It's been a while!)