New Lounger
    Thanks

Access on the Server (Access 2002)

I would like to get the pros and cons of having Access installed on the server as opposed to being loaded on each of our PC's. We have 20 users. We understand it would be faster and more efficient. Any downside?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Access on the Server (Access 2002)

I'm not sure I understand what you are asking, so let me make an assumption (guaranteed to get you in trouble), that what you mean is to put the database with the tables on the server, and put the database with the queries, forms, reports and code on each person's workstation. The pros of that are substantial - better perfomrance, less corruption of the front-end, and easier design changes. The only real negative is that you have to copy the front-end to each users' workstation, which can get tedious. However you can do it when you like, and it lets you make design changes without kicking all the users out. We do it all the time and hardly ever put the front-end on a server. If you want more detail on how to do it, or how to manage the copying of front-end files to the workstation, please post back.
    Wendell

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you are talking about Access itself running from the server, you would have to have something like Transaction Server or Citrix installed to make that work. Access itself isn't designed to be run from a server, although it's possible to open databases that live on the server.
    Charlotte

New Lounger
    Thanks

I I understand your question right, I had a similar request from one of our customers. What I found out from our software supplier is that all users must have a copy of Access loaded on there workstations. To have one copy of Access on the server used by multiple user violates license agreements for multiple users. You can purchase a copy of Access for each workstation or you can purchase a multiuser copy of Access which allows using the same CD to load Access on each workstation up to the number of users purchased.