Silver Lounger
    West Long Branch, New Jersey, USA

Application.caller Help (2000 sr1)

Calling for help on Application.caller,

I recently had a post about checking various things for a meeting coordination worksheet. Got some good suggestions. But I also dug into my archives and found some other tips that may help me. Only thing is that I'm curious and like to explore.

I found an old tip on use of Application.caller for shading a cell that has a numeric formula.

Using that, I found that you can use this to write a function that can test for any number of values you want to determine if the cell should be conditionally formatted. Of course, you're still limited to 3 different formats. But, for example, you could have condition 1 test for 7 conditions and apply format 1 if any are true, condition 2 test for 4 other conditions and apply format 2 if any are true, and condition 3 test for 5 other condition...

So now I'm curious about Application.caller and how it could be used.

First thing I looked at was the VBA help. Almost of no use. Can anyone explain that, particularly with respect to array formulas? I certainly don't understand the use of the index.

Checked a few books and almost nothing about it.

While playing with the above conditional formatting, I noticed that when typing in VBA
    that after typing "...r" and then the period that the VBE does NOT present a list of possiblities. Yet a search thru the lounge and the one example I was using above certainly indicated there are numerous properties of the caller. Where would one find these?

I did try an open paren after "...Caller" and VBE showed an index - guess that's tied to the help which is as clear as mud to me.

Uranium Lounger
    South Carolina, USA

Re: Application.caller Help (2000 sr1)

The properties available to the Application.Caller property depend on what called the function or sub. If the caller was a formula in a cell, then the property returns a Range object and that object has all of the properties of any range object like .Address, .Value, .Formula, .Parent, etc. If it was called from one of the Auto Macros, then the property returns a text string that is the name of the document and a text string has no properties.
    Legare Coleman