4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Redundant code (Access 97 & VBA 6)

Would anybody know of a program that will run through an access 97 database or VB6 project and find all of the redundant code?
    A colleague remembers using one a few years ago but can't remember what it was called.

Just thought id ask the experts while im trawling the net.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Redundant code (Access 97 & VBA 6)

Take a look at the replies in the thread starting at <post#=194190>post 194190</post#>.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans. I usually search through other posts before making a post - in my haste I forgot this time!
    My colleague also remembered the one he'd seen. It was called Speed Ferret.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Actually, Speed Ferret won't find redundant code (at least in the 97 verson). It's best use is for finding and renaming all references to objects within a database - IMHO it is the best at that.
    Wendell

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Its not overly clear on their website (http://www.speedferret.com/speedferret.html), but will Speed Ferret definately not go through a database looking at the forms etc and find redundant code?
    We'd like to run something tonight and I was just about to buy it on my colleagues advice but if it doesnt do the job it would be wasted. Im just downloading the demo but I know that has reduced functionality anyway.
    Any advice would be helpful thanks.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

No, it won't. SpeedFerret is a find and replace utility. It doesn't analyze code.

And what do you mean by "redundant" code anyhow? If you mean code that isn't used, be wary of believing whatever tool you use. None that I've seen bother to look at functions that are called from object properties directly rather than from an event procedure, so they can report that code is unused when that isn't the case.
    Charlotte

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I *loved* the 97 version but I'm not as happy with SpeedFerret 4. It has some improvements, but it's a harder interface to deal with and far less intuitive than its predecessor versions. Also slower and bigger because they increased the scope of applications and versions that it could handle.
    Charlotte

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by charlotte on 13-Nov-02 06:30. to activate link)</P>Thanks for the tip Charlotte.
    Im currently looking into the one on the post linked to above (http://www.fmsinc.com/products/analyzer/index.html).
    The free one didnt seem to support access 97, but looks like a very handy tool for VB6!

Super Moderator
    Thanks

We use FMS Analyzer and like many aspects of it, though you can burn through an entire forest of trees if you aren't careful. AFAIK, it's the only tool that will identify redundant code. We also use FMS Code Tools, but like many of the features of MZ Tools better (see [post#147444] for details). And to be completely fair, you can use Speed Ferret to identify unused modules, variables and so on, but it's a very manual process - you basically have to pick a particular name and then look for all references to it.
    Wendell