New Lounger
    Thanks

admin's lost some administrator priveledges (2000)

i created a large database for my organization, but we have been unable to get the user-level security working correctly over our network (so everyone was able to make design changes, unfortunately, but had been instructed not to). but, when i wet to make some design changes yesterday, i found that i could no longer get into design view for a number of the forms because the Admin user no longer had those privileges. i also found that the other user names (besides admin and users) were gone and the admins group had lost administrator privileges for those forms i couldn't make design changes to. is there a way to get full administrator privleges back for the admins group if no current user has them? also, bigger picture, can anyone give me some tips for setting up the security so that users will have to log in, so that i can restric access to some tables as well as design change privleges? the database is stored on a shared server, and previously when i tried setting user priveledges, they were only in effect on my computer (not even another machine when i was logged in under my account).

thanks for any help you can give,
    -lauren

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: admin's lost some administrator priveledges (2000)

Hi Lauren.O'Brien -
    It sounds suspiciously as if the security file (system.mdw or something with a .mdw extension) that you used to setup security is not the one you are currently pointing to. You probably want to look at some of the MS KB articles that tell you about security - you might start with FAQ aboaut Access security.
    Wendell

New Lounger
    Thanks

i only saw one .mdw (system.mdw) in the program files folder on my hard drive, but since the database is actually on a shared drive, i'm not even sure if that's the right one, not do i know how to tell which one the database is "pointing" to. i looked at the FAQ and didn't see anything that directly addressed the problem (running the security wizard and trying to put a user in the "full permissions" group and then logging into access as that user did not actually give me administrator permissions, just the same partial ones as before. the admins group still has administrator privileges over _new_ forms and templates, so i think i'd be able to recreate the 10 forms i no longer have administrator rights to, but i'd like to avoid all that extra work if possible...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

To find out which workgroup file you are currently using, open the Immediate window in the Visual Basic Editor (Ctrl+G) and type
    ? DBEngine.SystemDB
    This will give you the path and file name of the current workgroup file - most probably the System.mdw you found on your hard disk. If you have re-installed office or moved to another PC since trying to secure the database, this is probably a different file from the one you used to secure the database.

New Lounger
    Thanks

thanks. there was a big network/server/system type change since i originally secured the db, so that's probably what happened. is there anyway to re-create or get back to the .mdw that the db was originally secured with? i have the print out with the codes and such from when i originally ran the security wizard, but i don't know how to use them to get back the lost .mdw.

thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If the workgroup file existed only on the hard disk of your PC, you probably won't have a backup copy. It's worth checking, though.

If you still have the codes used to create the users, you can create a new workgroup file using Wrkgadm.exe. This program is installed by default in C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOffice1033. Once you have created and joined the new workgroup file, start Access, and select Tools/Security/User and Group Accounts to re-create the users and groups with EXACTLY the same codes that were used before. For more information, read the Access Security FAQ (you'll find a link in previous posts in this thread) and/or ACC2000: Overview of How to Secure a Microsoft Access Database.

To make other people open the database with this workgroup file, you can either put it on a network drive, or provide all users with a local copy on their hard disk. In both cases, create a shortcut that opens the database with the new workgroup file instead of the default one. The target of the shortcut should be of the form

"path to MSAccess.exe" "path to database" /wrkgrp "path to secured workgroup file"

For example:

"C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOfficeMSAccess.exe" "F:MyAppFolderMyApp.mdb" /wrkgrp "C:MyWorkgroupsSecure.mdw"

You must substitute the appropriate paths and file names, of course.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Re: admin's lost some privileges (2000)

this totally worked!
    thanks so much for your help!