Thread: VILRC error

New Lounger
    Thanks

VILRC error

I'm running Windows Me with 512 megs. of RAM on a Soyo SY-6VBA 133 mobo with a Leadtek GeForce2 Winfast Titanium video card, a Soundblaster Audigy sound card & 2 Maxtor HDs. Last nite my computer became unable to boot into normal Windows Me, only into Safe mode. Every time I tried normal I got a msg. saying "When initializing the driver VILRC" & the next line said "Windows ... fault. System halted." (Can't remember the type of fault right now, but it wasn't a page fault.) Anyway, the only thing I did before this happened was to upgrade to the latest drivers for my video card from the nVidia web site & upgrade to the latest version of Direct 3D, 8.1B. That's all. Hard to figure how that'd do this! I did a Google search on VILRC & got few hits, but one said that VILRC.VXD is a driver for Procomm & this error would occur if you deleted or deinstalled Procomm from your HD. Well, it so happens that I DO have Procomm on my HD (haven't used it in years!), but I haven't tried to delete or deinstall it, so I can't figure this out. And I don't think I can try to reinstall it in safe mode anyway. In any event, I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts

Re: VILRC error

Seems as though something in the latest Nvidia drivers may be conflicting with the Procomm driver. You've got choices - all to tried in saafe mode. You can try to use a restore point to revert to the prior Nvidia drivers. Or, you can try to uninstall the Procomm software. If you don't use the Procomm software you ought try the uninstall route 1st.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

I think you're quite right. I just got off the phone with Microsoft for about an hr. & that's basically what the guy said & had me do: remove all my video drivers & let Windows install the right ones & now I can boot into normal Windows again. I think I just WILL uninstall Procomm, tho, since I sure don't need it anymore. Thanks for the info.

-Richard

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts

Richard, Glad you're back in business. Nvidia drivers have been known to be somewhat flaky. It is always a wise idea with them to have a copy of your current functional drivers handy so you can roll back easily.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanx. I didn't know that Nvidia drivers could be flaky. That's more or less what the MS guy told me too. (Also found out that Half Life is flaky; the reason I upgraded my video drivers was so that I could play it again; it'd been locking up my computer). Oh, I should also mention that I couldn't go back to an earlier configuration; it failed every time & with the same error, even tho I went back several days. Can't figure that out. The display driver section in Device Mgr. had 3 different video drivers listed, the nVidia, my old 3dfx Voodoo ones (my previous video card) & a standard PCI VGA driver & the MS guy said they were confusing Windows Me & causing the problem, so he had me delete all 3 & reboot & Windows reloaded ONLY the nVidia drivers this time & everything was fine.

-Richard