New Lounger
    Thanks

Forwarding multiple attachments of same name (2000)

One user received a message containing three attachments of the same name, REDLINE.RTF. Each opened correctly, showing distinct content. The user then forwarded to another user. In the first user's Sent Items folder, the message showed correctly, whether using Preview Pane or by opening the message, and all three attachments showed correctly in either view.

The person to whom the message was forwarded received three files, showing the correct file sizes, but when the message was opened, two of the attachments showed the same content (and file sizes) when saved or opened. Oddly, when viewed in the preview pane, all three attachments behaved correctly.

The user gets the correct content when using the preview pane, but when they open the message, two of the three attachments link to the same content.

Can anyone point me toward something that would explain this? I'm pretty sure that the problem relates to having three attachments of exactly the same name, but I can't account for the difference in behavior in different views.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Forwarding multiple attachments of same name (2000)

I'm guessing that it is a file conflict. [not tested]

The first file attachment is extracted to the TEMP directory with its 'given' name when opened (rather than previewed).

The second file attachment would attempt to do the same. If the original one is still open (which is often the case if Word is involved) then the second probably cannot be created.

This would be easy enough to test.

Close Outlook and Word after opening file numer one
    Reopen and extract file number two ...

Thanks

Re: Forwarding multiple attachments of same name (2000)

I have very, very occasionally had a similar problem opening the same-named attachment from two different e-mail messages: the one that was saved in the temp folder first was opened when the second attachment was accessed. I've also had Outlook add a one to the file name (document1.doc) to avoid a conflict. Not completely consistent; not sure why not. The solution might be to right-click and Save As with a unique name.