Lounger
    Thanks

Access and Front Page

Hey All,

I'm real new to HTML and Front Page and Access, so you'll have to speak simply to me

My company has a web page on our intranet, it was built with Front Page. Our employees fill out a form on the page, and that data gets shuffled into an Access database.

The employees are oftentimes filling out the form incorrectly. They don't discover this until after they hit the "Transmit" button though. After the button, the confirmation form comes up, saying "The following information was transmitted to the database..."

I'd like to give them another chance, by make a "verify" page. They would click transmit, then the browser would go to my "verify" page and say "here is the data you are about to transmit. Are you sure this is correct?" If not, they can go back and fix it. If it is correct, they press the transmit button, and then it goes into my database.

I realize this is kinda confusing, and I probably didn't explain it correctly. Can anyone point me in a good direction to learn how to do this?

Thanks

Re: Access and Front Page

I don't think there is a built-in way to handle this in FrontPage. What you might consider is to use ASP to do it.

Step 1: Make a backup of your page. ;-)
    Step 2: Change the submit action from calling the database function to calling a new confirmation page.
    Step 3: Create a new page that takes the data from the form and do two things with it: (a) present to user for review; ([img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img] store in hidden form fields to feed to the database function you already built (copy from your backup). If the user wants to edit, instruct them to click the back button. (You could circle around and put the data back in the form, but that would be pretty ambitious.)

So how do you learn ASP? There are a number of sites, a zillion books, and a few cookbook examples in my FrontPage books. If no one comes up with a better solution, I can add more suggestions.

Thanks

Re: Access and Front Page

Just a thought:

Could the data entry and confirmation pages be the same?
    i.e. Data is entered in (say) the top half and is automatically formatted into a 'review' section in the bottom half (which need not be immediately viewable as it is so far down the page.)

On clicking submit, the user is simply 'moved' to a lower bookmark in the page showing the review, and the final 'Submit' button. To amend, they are moved back to the top (which would also work with the Back function).

Presumably the data entry fields would have remained intact.