3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Table of Authorities/Incorrect Wrapping (Word 2000)

Does anyone know of any issues with Tables of Authorities not wrapping correctly when not using the passim feature? We have a TOA from a user which behaves just beautifully when we use passim, but does not wrap correctly when we don't use it. The TOA style is set up so that there is a right indent of 1" and a right-adjust tab at the margin. If a line in the TOA is too long to fit on one line, it is supposed to wrap 1" from the right margin, indent the second line, then have page numbers show at the right margin on the last line. So when it works correctly, the page numbers are actually extended out beyond the right end of the text lines.

Passim is a feature that comes into play when there are more than five page references for any one entry. Instead of inserting 8 or 10 page numbers, it will insert the word passim. Obviously, this makes the overall length of the entry shorter, so I'm thinking this may just be a flaw in the way Word handles too many characters after a right-adjust tab.

Has anyone had this happen before? Is it a known issue, or does anyone have a fix for the problem? Thanks.

Lee Morgan

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Table of Authorities/Incorrect Wrapping (Word 2000)

I don't have an answer for this, partly because I don't use the TOA feature in Word. Lexis makes a product called Full Authority which generates the TOA without having to mark text. In addition, it uses the blue book rules of formatting and can tell you if there is incorrect spacing, punctuation, or abbreviating. I have recommended this product to many clients and all have been very pleased with it. http://www.lexisnexis.com/fullauthority/

Thanks

I think I haved used a manual line break between two tabs to get it to work. Not pretty, but I don't know of a real solution off the top of my head.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Lee:
    I'm not sure if this is related, but I recall a bug with the TOC & justified text when a particular option was checked under Tools/Options/Compatibility. Maybe this will give you an idea. Here is the info I had.

If you do the following:
    1. Go to Tools/Options/Compatibility & tick the box for "Do full justification like Word Perfect 6.x for Windows".
    2. Type a paragraph.
    3. Drag the right indent marker on the ruler to the left of the margin.
    4. Set a tab to the right of the margin.
    5. With the cursor in the paragraph, press the tab button.
    6. Now justify the paragraph (Ctrl+J).

The tab seems to disappear.

Also, if you have TOC styles with a tab set to the right of the right indent marker, the tab "disappears", causing the page number to squish against the heading text.