New Lounger
    Thanks

Landscape Table Weirdness (Word 2002/SP-1)

Hi all

I created a standard letter-sized template with a table in it, then changed the page orientation to landscape. Saved it off in my templates folder and now it appears as an option when I select File/New. So I start a new document based off of my template and fill it out and it seems to look fine, then when I go to Print Preview it, weirdness happens. My right margin automatically shifts to 2.5+ inches, except the words and table don't adjust themselves to this new "mandatory" margin. The rightmost ~2 inches of my document is blank, but there should be text and table there! If I print, I get the same output. I've been all through the Page Setup options, but don't see a thing that looks wrong.

Here's where it gets interesting: I can e-mail the document to my work, where I run Word 2000, open the file, adjust the right margin, and Print Preview behaves normally and the printout is normal. So then I thought, well, maybe there's something screwy with the print driver on my default printer (HP Laser Jet 5L) at home, but when I set my other printer as default, I still have the problem. Then I checked the MS KnowledgeBase, but didn't see anything, and it doesn't look like this is addressed with SP-2.

Do any of you have any suggestions?

Thanks a ton!
    TBGG
    "TrueBlueGeekGirl"

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Landscape Table Weirdness (Word 2002/SP-1)

With tables, sometimes it's easier to go with the flow. When I've had this issue, I've found it's more efficient to start with a clean-sheet landscape layout with the margins properly set, then build the table I want from scratch. If I've done it once in portrait, it actually doesn't take that long. And I get to use my favorite hotkey - Ctrl+Alt+U - remove all border lines from cells. Then I can draw in the borders where I want them.

Thanks

Right of landscape printout blank with HP printer

If you think "bottom" instead of "right," then you've described a problem a lot of people have posted about in the past, but more with inkjet printers than with laser printers. Unfortunately, I can't remember the solution. You could try searching here regarding bottom margins, or hope that someone who remembers the solution happens across this thread. (You could edit the subject line of your message to see if that helps!)

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Landscape Table Weirdness (Word 2002/SP-1)

The only time I've had problems with table widths is going between landscape & portrait when the table properties are set incorrectly. But I confess that I don't know why it would work differently on two different machines, both running Word 2000. Try going to Table/Properties/Column tab & set the column widths to percents. They should then shift automatically between landscape & portrait. You can accomplish the same result by clicking Table Menu/Autofit/autofit to window. Make sure under Table Properties/Cell tab/Options that "fit text" is not selected.

Hope this helps.