Lounger
    Thanks

Slow network speed

Hi all. I hope someone can provide some help. Our office runs Win 2000 Server with 15 workstations. Brand new Dell server with plenty of speed, ram, raid drives, etc. The workstations are 2000 Pro and XP Pro. We also have 2 notebooks on the net, both identical Sony Vaios (about 18 months old) with Win 2000 Pro pre-installed. One has been upgraded to XP Pro. Both use Xircom 10/100 PCMCIA cards for ethernet connections. These 2 laptops are very slow on the network, while all the workstations zip along. Transfering 150 megs over the net to or from the server from a notebook takes several minutes, while it takes 30 seconds on the other machines. We've moved the laptops arouund, and no matter where we place them, they don't transfer data any faster. Some research has led me to believe that it is possible that registry settings for the MTU's on the laptops may be optimized for the Internet, which slows them down on the network. However, I've not been able to find the appropriate registry settings. If anyone could provide me with some guidance as to where in the registry the settings are, and what they should optimally be, I would be grateful. If anyone has any other solution, I'll be happy to try that, too. Thanks in advance for any help.

Joel

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Re: Slow network speed

Here's a link that discusses networking: http://cable-dsl.home.att.net/index.htm. Here's another for a good site to search for NT information and fixes:
    http://www.jsiinc.com/. Here's one more on networking: http://sfwinograd.home.attbi.com/faq.htm. Hope you find something on one of these to help. Also, on the XP machine check in Windows Explorer Tool | Folder options | View that 'Automatically search for network folders and printers' in unchecked.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

The PCMIA card is connecting at 10Mbs instead of 100Mbs. I have the problem with a Genius 10/100 card, but always though it was because at home I connected at the slower rate. You should be able to check out their connection rate by having the little icon show in the system tray and having the mouse hover over it. If you do find a solution, please tell us all.

Lounger
    Thanks

Well, I found the solution. I replaced the Xircom cards with Siemens cards, and they are now working properly. No tweaking - just a matter of spending a few bucks. Thanks to all who tried to help.

Joel

New Lounger
    Thanks

just one further note...you may have had cards that were having problems with the 10/100 negotiation and were wasting a lot of time and cycles internally trying to figure out which speed to use. The new cards happened to be compatible and get this right. We have recently seen certain models of our desktop work station have major problems with this but only in certain offices with specifc netowrk hubs/switches.