Lounger
    Thanks

Recurring Save Changes to Normal.dot Dialog (Word 2000 (SR1))

I have just installed "Jaws PDF Creator". It adds two macros to Word 2000 (SR1) on my Windows XP (Home) system, of which one is loaded at start-up, and a custom icon to the Standard toolbar. The functionality of Jaws appears good

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Recurring Save Changes to Normal.dot Dialog (Word 2000 (SR1))

You could just supress the save question

Tools > Options > Save > Promt ro save Normal.Dot

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for replying. Your point is well taken

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by Phil Rabichow on 15-Nov-02 13:19. )</P>Hi Hans:
    I don't have a solution and I'm not familiar with Jaws. The prompt that you get has a value; it tells you something changed normal.dot. If you've done nothing to change it, it's a warning that you might have a macro virus. In this situation, you believe it's because of the Jaws software. If that's correct, then deleting normal.dot is NOT a solution...every time you start Word, there will be changes. On the other hand, if it's not being caused by the Jaws software, you have a problem elsewhere.

Try this. Rename normal.dot & then restart Word, saving the new normal.dot. Then close & restart Word. If the problem persists, then add-ins are a likely candidate. Try the 3rd step in <post#=197827>post 197827</post#>, especially with regard to Jaws related add-ins. If that is the cause, your choice is to modify the macros (if you're able to) or live with it, I'm afraid. I know it's frustrating. You might, might be able to rename the Auto macros. If their only functionality is to add & delete toolbar buttons or menu options, you might be able to live without that feature. Then again, it's a long shot as most software won't allow you access.

Oh. Search the Word forum for prompt normal.dot or prompt normal template because I'm sure there have been similar threads.

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for taking the time to reply, Phil. You are right about the significance of the "changes to Normal. dot" and that is why I would not follow the earlier suggestion to disable it.

In the event, Norton AntiVirus (w/latest defs) does not indicate a virus in the system, nor are there any other indications.

Before taking the time to implement a reconstruction of my Normal.dot, the simplest fix I have found is to remove the Jaws dot from the startup folder when I do not need to create a pdf file from Word

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Hans-Peter,

You've already gotten good advice but just want to add a couple of notes:

From what you've described, it sounds like the change to Normal.dot is definitely being made by the Jaws software, and this is probably happening when it adds the custom icon.
    The tech support person at Jaws was either relatively clueless or being disingenuous - well-behaved software does not trigger that message.

Also per your last post re: moving the .dot in and out of the Startup directory - another way to do this, which would save you the trouble of moving it in and out of your Startup directory, would be to keep it permanently in a location other than the startup directory, and load it as an add-in (by browsing for it in the Templates & Add-Ins dialog). The advantage of this method is that the add-in will never load automatically when Word starts, but it will remain in the list in the Template & Add-Ins dialog, allowing you to load it at any time by going to the dialog and putting a checkmark next to it in the list.

Gary

Lounger
    Thanks

I am 3 days late returning to this thread

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I am using MakePDF by Document Automation Developers http://www.docauto.com with very good success. I haven't seen any issues with normal.dot complaining. It is loaded as an add-in. There is also a version with Outlook integration.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

The macros that Jaws PDF creator uses are stored in 2 files:

JawsPDFCreatorInit.dot - this creates the menu items & the toolbar which then refer to the second file
    JawsPDFCreator.dot - used to create PDF files & customize the settings

It appears that the first file creates the menu items and toolbar every time Word starts and this triggers the changes to normal.dot.

To work around this problem remove the first file from the start-up folder and instead add the second file. The menu items added to the File menu will no longer work and will have to be manually re-created and the 2 existing entries deleted.
    To modify the menus select Tools>Customize...
    Scroll down to the macro section and you will see 2 JAWS macros listed (their names are self explanatory). These can be dragged & dropped onto the menus in place of the existing entries and re-named as appropriate by right clicking on the new menu item.
    The old entries can be deleted by right clicking on them and selecting delete (The Tools>Customize... dialog box must still be displayed to do this)