Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Star Lounger
    Thanks

Drive letter change won't stick (XP-SP1)

I'm using XP-SP1. For 9 months I have had the CD drive letter set to Z and the CD-RW drive letter set to Y. Recently I noticed that every time I reboot both drive letters are changed to the next two after the last HD partition letter (G). I change them back using the "computer management" interface but after rebooting they are changed to "H" and "I". In other words, my changes to "Y" and "X" don't seem to stick. I can't think of anything I have changed in the OS to cause this change in behavior. Any ideas?????

Wayne

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Drive letter change won't stick (XP-SP1)

Hi Wayne--

I don't know why you couldn't at the Computer Mgt. Interface since it's widely advertised as a place to get it done. But before I go look on the XP mavens' sites (and Mark in the lounge has a good XP tip site) try this: Windows Guide Network:Change Drive Name and Icon All Versions. This Reg hack is quick and non-ambiguous and works in Explorer to get it done quickly.

Good luck,

defrag

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Most likely it is a hardware problem, another words, nothing is wrong with your Windows.

First of all, I suspect CMOS battery. Do you have any problems with your computer clock? Are all your hard drives and CD drives listed properly in Device Manager (manufacturer, capacity etc.)?
    Then, go to your computer's manufacturer website and check for the latest BIOS updates.
    If there is one, download and apply it.
    Next, check your hard drive's and CD drive's connections. Are all connectors firmly put in their places?
    Some BIOS allow you to perform hard drives testing. It is better to do this.
    Then, presuming you have IDE drives (if you have no idea what is it, you have IDE), check your drives jumper settings. It is better to put jumpers in Master or Slave position rather then Cable Select (CS). By the way, it is always better to connect CD-ROM and CD-RW to different controllers (flat ribbon cables) to enable CD copying.

Check this first, please.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Defrag,

Thanks for the reply. The change using Computer Mgt. worked but when I rebooted it didn't stick - everything was back to the status before I made the change. I will try the reg hack and see if that sticks. I'll post the results.

Wayne

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Defrag,

I took a closer look at the hack. I don't see how this helps to change the drive letter assignment. Is the letter shown in explorer just an icon?

Wayne

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have checked everything you suggested, everything is OK. Up until a few days ago the drive letter changes that I made months ago remained no matter how many times I rebooted. Then, one time I reboot and they have gone back to their native state. Now when I change them, they stick during the session (obvious by looking at explorer) but if I reboot the go back to their native state again. Has anyone seen this before???

Wayne

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Wayne--

I'm not sure what you mean--you tried the reg hack and it didn't help or it looks like it won't work? At the top of the Winguides instructions fo the reg hack it says:
    __________________________________________________ __________________________

"This tweak allows you to change the name and icon shown in Explorer for a specific drive letter."

By Explorer, they mean you will do a regedit that will permanatly change your Drive letter every place you can look for it. It will change it at the My Computer, Windows Explorer, and MMC/Administrative Tools/Policy Editor interface and any other interface you can come up with by tweaking the Registry.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________

I don't know what this means--help me out: "I have checked everything you suggested, everything is OK...but if I reboot the go back to their native state again. Has anyone seen this before???"

Why don't you try it? It will fix what is broken. If for whatever reason you don't want to try the reg hack, then do this--I can't directly link to the page because all Doug's pages have the same URL so follow these steps--you can fix the CD drive for good this way with a few clicks.
    I could come up with some more but these will do it.

1) Go to Doug Knox's Site.
    2) To the left of the bar, click on fourth item down "Win XP Fixes."
    3) On the right column of this page, count down eight. Click on "Restore CD/DVD drives to Explorer".

This should do it Wayne. If it were just the name you ever wanted to change, all you have to do to change the name of a drive is to simply right click and hit rename in the "rt. click context menu."

Good luck,

defrag

P.S.--The author of the reg hack has 800 plus reg hacks he tests exhaustively. They work unless I vastly misunderstand that you want to permanatly restore the letter of a drive everywhere you can access that drive period.

Doug Knox is a very experienced Microsoft MVP who helps out on many of the 25 XP MSN newsgroups and some others. His site's fixes are very effective--mostly scripts--sometimes links to the KB that will do the job.

Give it a whirl--please let me know how it went.

defrag

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Careful, Defrag. I think you're leading him in the wrong direction.
    <hr>...to change the name and icon shown in Explorer<hr>
    Don't think this is his problem.
    <hr>Click on "Restore CD/DVD drives to Explorer"<hr>
    Nor this!

He's got a problem with a manually assigned drive letter(s) not sticking. He's not trying to change the name or icon for a device. Computer Management, Storage, Disk Management IS THE RIGHT place to make this change. Wayne, if you're having trouble with it not sticking I don't think we've found the answer yet. Let's keep looking.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Wayne, it just occured to me to ask you, since you have SP1 installed, did maybe something happen to your logon profile (accidently)? Did you check Users to see if the logon profile you're using still has "Administrator" priviliges? And, I hope you don't take offense at this, but are you sure you're really completing the process by clicking the appropriate "OKs" or whatever and not the "X" in the upper right corner of the dialogue boxes? We'll keep looking, but here's one of many MS KB articles on the subject with a few additional references at the bottom that we may stumble onto something helpful. Hang in there!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I've been searching Google newsgroups and evidently you're not alone in this problem. I've seen a few hints but no outright solutions. Do you possibly have one or both devices "shared" and maybe that causes the change not to stick? Are you running XP's TweakUI? If so, check My Computer to see if there's still a check mark by all available drive letters. Not too likely in XP, but check your Config.Sys and Autoexec.Bat files to make sure there's nothing going on in them with the two drives in question. The majority of the posts I've seen so far seem to deal with the "how to do it" question, rather than the sticking problem, and you obviously already know "how to." I guess you could also try "disconnecting" the two drives and rebooting, then shutdown and re-connect them. Maybe XP has gotten a little "lost" on those two devices.

Keeping on.....

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Wayne--
    This drive letter that you can't get to stick--is it for an additional drive that you created, or one that you created on formatting, and is it assigned to any hardware device like a CD or DVD ROM?

Thanks,

defrag

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Al and Kaplinb--

For whatever reason, though, Wayne is not able to do what Computer Management is supposed to do. This VB script from Kelly Theriot[/i] will Restore Administrative Tools #54 and probably not only fix Computer Management, Group Policy Editor, and the MSC but pre-emptively trouble shoot problems for Wayne with these items in the future. I haven't had one of Kelly's or Doug's fixes fail yet, but you make a good point that they should be applied to the correct niche or situation. Their fixes are solid--she gets thanks on the 25 MSN XP groups fifty times every day for just these sorts of problems every day. Her tweaks--the short cuts she adds to the right click context menu, for example, and her regedit to repair IE/VB script repairs are for example tremendous time savers.

I don't think the Win Guides regedit is leading him in the wrong direction at all. I am not sure because Wayne has not said, whether the Drive letter corresponds to a hardware device like a CD/DVD drive so I take your point there. But if y ou read the regedit at the hyperlink I provided Change Drive Name and Icon this would allow him to change the affected drive letter to whatever letter Wayne wants that is not sticking and is not device specific. How is this the wrong path? He accesses the Drives through Explorer or the My Computer interface.

I know the KB, but do not know why Computer Management which should work and is the place of choice to start doesn't work, but if it doesn't then I would think on to selecting the drive letter he wants that is not sticking, and change it with the reg hack. My reasoning is that the reg hack would allow him to choose his Drive letter and make it stick.

I noticed KB 307079 All Available Drive Letters are Assigned to Unformatted Hard Disks. but doubt that is the case here unless Wayne has assigned all his drive letters.

I've offered a VB script from Kelly's site that should repair Computer Managment, but what about Al, the ability to change the drive letter from the command line with dispart-- it can be done from there:

I pasted this from Help and Support: (Just put "change drive letter in the search box in Help and Support):--I did not paste the switches--already a long post).
    __________________________________________________ _________________

To assign, change, or remove a drive letter
    Using the Windows interface

Open Computer Management (Local).
    In the console tree, click Disk Management.
    Where?

Computer Management (Local)
    Storage
    Disk Management

Right-click a partition, logical drive, or volume, and then click Change Drive Letter and Paths.
    Do one of the following:
    To assign a drive letter, click Add, click the drive letter you want to use, and then click OK.
    To modify a drive letter, click it, click Change, click the drive letter you want to use, and then click OK.
    To remove a drive letter, click it, and then click Remove.
    Important

Be careful when making drive-letter assignments because many MS-DOS and Windows programs make references to a specific drive letter. For example, the path environment variable shows specific drive letters in conjunction with program names.
    Notes

To open Computer Management, click Start, and then click Control Panel. Double-click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer Management.
    You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group in order to complete this procedure. If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings may also prevent you from completing this procedure.
    A computer can use up to 26 drive letters. Drive letters A and B are reserved for floppy disk drives, but you can assign these letters to removable drives if the computer does not have a floppy disk drive. Hard disk drives in the computer receive letters C through Z, while mapped network drives are assigned drive letters in reverse order (Z through [img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img].
    You cannot change the drive letter of the system volume or boot volume.
    An error message may appear when you attempt to assign a letter to a volume, CD-ROM drive, or other removable media device, possibly because it is in use by a program in the system. If this happens, close the program accessing the volume or drive, and then click the Change Drive Letter and Paths command again.
    Windows 2000 and Windows XP allow the static assignment of drive letters on volumes, partitions, and CD-ROM drives. This means that you permanently assign a drive letter to a specific partition, volume, or CD-ROM drive. When you add a new hard disk to an existing computer system, it will not affect statically assigned drive letters.
    You can also mount a local drive at an empty folder on an NTFS volume using a drive path instead of a drive letter. For more information, click Related Topics.
    Using a command line

Open Command Prompt.
    Type:
    diskpart

At the DISKPART prompt, type:
    list volume

Make note of the number of the simple volume whose drive letter you want to assign, change, or remove.

At the DISKPART prompt, type:
    select volume n

Select the volume, where n is the volume's number, whose drive letter you want to assign, change, or remove.

At the DISKPART prompt, type one of the following:
    assign letter=L
    Where L is the drive letter you want to assign or change.

remove letter=L
    Where L is the drive letter you want to remove.

defrag

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

<hr>...because Wayne has not said, whether the Drive letter corresponds to a hardware device like a CD/DVD drive<hr>
    Please read the original post, Defrag!

Whew! Much too verbose. I can't read it all, don't have time.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Wow,

Thanks for the effort from everybody. Absolutely extraordinary!!!! I'm sorry to be so long in responding but the problem is on my office system so I didn't know there was so much response until this morning. To recap the situation and what I have tried..............

2 internal drives, a CD-RW and a plain CD drive, have been on the system since the beginning (9 months). There are also two HD attached to a Promise raid 0 array. The HD have been partitioned to C, D, E, F & G. The two CD drives are on separate IDE channels. 9 months ago, I used computer mgt. to change the CD-RW drive to "Y" and the CD to "Z". And they stayed that way until recently. A few days ago these two CD's were back to H & I. I changed them back to Y & Z and checked during the day to see if anything happened. They stayed Y & Z. The following day I had need to reboot the system and the drives were again H & I. I changed them again, opened & closed a few files/programs and confirmed they were still Y & Z. I rebooted to confirm whether or not this was causing the change to "unstick". It was. I made a quick run through the Microsoft KB and didn't see anything promising. I figured I couldn't be alone in this, that's when I posted on the WOPR board.

I have looked at everthing all of the posters have proposed and tried most except the registry hack. I've made changes to the registry before, that doesn't bother me, I'm just not sure that it addresses the problem. It seems a little heavy handed, would probably work, but doesn't explain what's really wrong with the system.

Now that you have all of the details, is there anything else that you'all would suggest????

Wayne

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Well, here's another "remote possibility," Wayne. This too involves a registry mod, so I don't know if you want to try it. It concerns the subject of non-sticking settings and came about because of the inability of MANY people to get settings to stick on stuff such as window sizes and locations, content of windows set to icons/detail/tiles failing to stick and other stuff as well. In a <!post=post I made,142559>post I made<!/post> some time ago, I reported a registry mod I found on another forum. This mod requires deleting the following two registry keys:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsShellNoRo amBagMRU]
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsShellNoRo amBags]

Evidently when XP "loses its way" on settings, deleting these two keys causes it to refresh itself and a few other people I know have also tried it with apparent success. Win XP re-creates the keys anyway and my settings have been sticking ever since. What I don't know is whether there's even a remote chance it would help with your drive assignment problem. As I told another Lounger recently, you could export the keys for safety, just in case, but one way or the other, XP will create them again with fresh data. Up to you.....

I too have re-assigned my CD drive to K: and it has never wavered, even after installing SP-1, so one other thing you COULD try (Huh?) is to try using two letters different than what you've been using, just for the grins of it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast