2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

graphics adapter problem (xpsp1)

Ne1 had problem with usb adsl modem slowing down graphics the moment the modem is detected? On pulling usb connection out game returns to correct speed. Took me awhile to find out that the modem was causing game graphics to slow down---by chance pulled the usb connection out and everything returned to normal. Checked device manager -- no conflicts everything looks fiine-changed graphics adapter same problem
    Any ideas???
    Smbs

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: graphics adapter problem (xpsp1)

It looks like your game drains almost all your computer's resources. The most radical solution is to upgrade your video memory. However, you can try change Windows settings to improve performance:

1. Hit Windows key and Pause/Break key on your keyboard simultaneously. System Properties window will pop-up.
    2. On System Properties, click Advanced tab.
    3. Click Settings button under Performance.
    4. Click Advanced tab on Performance Options window.
    5. Check System Cache radio button under Memory Usage dialog. You can also increase paging file size under Virtual Memory dialog.
    6. Click Apply, OK, OK.

I hope it will improve your computer performance a little bit.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

thanx Kaplink but I have 512 megabit ram and virtual memory defined as 1.5 times more than ram ie between 750meg to 1.25 giga this should be enough but still havethe same problem I feel that the problem is the modem (maybe driver) and not the game
    Smbs

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

The problem is: how much VIDEO memory do you have (e.g. how much memory does your video card have)? For heavy video gaming at least 32 MB required, 64 MB recommended. Picture on your screen is processed by your video adapter processor with its own memory. If it has not enough resources, it send the job to central processor (CPU) with its system memory (you have 512 MB of it), supported by slower paging file (virtual memory). Sending signals back and forth slowing the process, and CPU has its own jobs to do. That's why you need to upgrade video memory.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have a geforce mx2000 with 64 meg ram adapter --ok it aint the latest but it is only 1 year old!! -I dont have the cash to burn on every adapter that comesout --I still feel that the modem is at fault!
    Smbs

Thanks

This article may be of interest.

Open up Task Manager and sort on CPU usage in the Processes window - that may show what is going on.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

thanx Leif ---interesting article-- that may explain my problem it looks as if I'll dump usb modem and use standard modem by means of a nic!
    Smbs