New Lounger
    Thanks

screensaver file association (XP Pro SR1)

The file association .scr for screensavers got hijacked by another application. I've delected that association through Explorer, but I don't know how to get the old behavior back. That is, what executable do I "open" to invoke a screensaver, e.g., from a shortcut?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: screensaver file association (XP Pro SR1)

Thanks, that worked, and those other fixes on that site look very helpful.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Jim-- I think this will fix you in three-four clicks. Go to Doug Knox's site. Then on the left click "Win XP Fixes" and the fifth click down "File Association Fixes," and finally count down and click onto "SCR File Association Fix (Restore Default Associations for SCR files) and you should be set.

This could also be fixed on the File Types tab of Folder Options in Windows Explorer/My Computer (Tools>Folder Options), or reached through Control Panel, or it can be customized and fixed in the Registry with the root key HKCR --and I don't pretend to know how to customize file associations in the registry but there is a good chapter on it in Windows XP Registry Guide.

defrag

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

That's great--and for insurance I want to turn you on to another terrific resource for fixes with predominantly visual basic scripts and utilities that take a couple clicks including one for restoring file associations at Kelly Theriot's excellent XP Tip/Fixing Site--a good tool to have in your back pocket:

Tweaks and Tips for Windows XP: See #25 File Association Fixes

also Navigate in the categories on her site:
    Kelly's Korner: Trouble Shooting Windows XP

defrag