Lounger
    Thanks

Justification Problems (Word 2000Win98/SR-1)

Hi All,

When I create a justified paragraph, sometimes the last sentence in the paragraph gets strung out so that there are way too many spaces between each word. Is their a way to resolve this problem?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Marilyn R

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Justification Problems (Word 2000Win98/SR-1)

Marilyn,

First, you must make sure that the paragraph is complete or finished, by hitting the enter/return key before adding a page break, a section break or more text. I most often forget and put a page break in before I've finished the paragraph.

If that doesn't seem to be the problem, its probably a hyphenation issue, not a justification glitch. Check the paragraph format (FORMAT, PARAGRAPH, LINE BREAKS) and see what hyphenation is set at AND go to TOOLS, HYPHENATION. I'm afraid I can't give specific suggestions on what the settings should be as I don't have hyphenation installed on my machine.

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the suggestion. I finally figured out what was going on. I am typing a legal document that is in outline form. I had a numbered paragraph that contained three individual paragraphs for one number. I was hitting Shift>Enter to create a hanging indented second paragraph to avoid having Word number the second paragraph. I found a way to get around that and when I changed the formatting to be a paragraph mark, the last sentence came together. But don't ask me to repeat what I did to get that <smile> I just know it worked :-)

Marilyn

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Marllyn:
    Just so you know, you can go to Tools/Options/Compatibility tab & check "Don't expand character spaces on the line ending Shift+Return". Also, your justified documents will look better if you check the box for "Do full justification like WordPerfect 6.x for Windows". This will squeeze spaces together slightly, rather than expand them.
    Cheers,

Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you, Phil.

I changed both options and it really made a difference. I don't know why that should be a standard default setting for Word. Why would anyone not want those options checked? I've been copying a legal document that was justified and was getting frustrated since the original looked so much more evenly spaced. I wondered what they did to get that effect. But of course since it was typed at a legal office, most likely they were already using Word Perfect.

Thanks again for the help. I have made those two options a default setting for all future documents in the future. I've been suffering through this problems for several years now.

Marilyn

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Phil,

My office is considering turning these two options on to solve our justification problems. Before we turn them on I wanted to check and see if there are any known ramifications caused by these settings. Have you heard of anything?

Thanks,
    Alexis

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Hi Alexis,

Phil is away for a few days, so I took a peek at the Microsoft Knowledge Base and found no reported problems with either of these options. Of course that does provide any guarantees, but if you are generally working with documents that need to look like their Word Perfect brethern, then both seem desirable. Hope this helps - perhaps others with more recent experience doing conversions will chime in.
    Wendell

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Wendell,

Thanks for taking the time to look into this. I really appreciate it!

Alexis

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

If you check "Don't expand character spaces on the line ending Shift+Return", the result of "force-justification" does not happen.

A minor downside I know of is this: if you have set automatic hyphenation in the document to ON, and you have a hyphenated word as the last word on a page, especially a right-hand-side page, you would like the hyphenated word to wrap to the next page, without a break in continuity of the paragraph. This is the time where the unchanged behaviour of the Shift-Return is desirable. If you check the option, a few millimetres of space would be left at the end of the last line even though the paragraph does not end there.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, good to know!