Lounger
    Thanks

Replication ofm Forms, Reports & Marcos (Access 2K-SR-1)

Am coverting my Access 97 db to Access 2K.
    After conversion I create a replica of my new db and there appears to be no way to create local forms, reports or macros in the replica. The functions for Design and New are not active even on the insert menu item.
    This function was available in Access 97. What am I missing?? Or is it not possible with Access 2K to create local froms, etc. in a replica??

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Replication ofm Forms, Reports & Marcos (Access 2K-SR-1)

Are you talking about a replicated front end? I don't recall the capability of creating local forms in an Access 97 replica, although it's been at least 4 years since I built one. The bigger issue is that the creating of locals forms,etc., in a replica makes no sense. The only reason to replicate a front end is to keep its design elements in sync. Using local forms and so forth would make nonsense of that. Perhaps if you explain exactly what you're doing, you can get a more helpful answer. There are problems associated with replicating a front end, even in 97, but it's likely that you're running afoul of the change in the development environment to true VBA in Access 2000 and later. In those versions, you must be able to place an exclusive lock on a database in order to make design changes. It sounds like that may not be possible in a replica.
    Charlotte

Lounger
    Thanks

What I have is a fairly simple DB that is used to keep info for my Church, It consists of attendees addresses, anniversaries, family birthdays, phone numbers, e-mail addresses, and attendance at services. I have the Design Master at home and keep a replica on the Pastor's computer at the Church. We both may update or add imfo to the DB. Before making a major mailing or attendance reports, I synchronize them and then produce what is needed. No network invovled.
    Sometimes I have created a special report on the replica when a question comes up while at the Church. This has come in handy because I can produce the report immediately and don't have to wait until I get home. I don't want to make design changes in the replica.
    I can see why that you wouldn't want people creating forms for input of data on a replica but the ability to create local reports seems to be reasonable, On objects that are replicated, you cannot make changes to them in the replica and this would seem to be the way it should work . But I can make copies of tables and queries but not the rest.
    It doesn't make sense to me that I can create new tables and queries or make copies in a replica but not new forms, reports, and macros to work with them.
    Maybe I don't understand all the in and outs of DB's and networking, but over 40+ years around computer you see some strange things that don't make sense and restrict a simple use of software.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

There is nothing reasonable about creating forms or reports in replicas. Both of those objects are windows into data, even though reports only allow you to view the data. Neither of them is simple, and of the two, reports are actually the more complex, since they generate a bunch of unseen temporary queries as well. The purpose of replicating a front end is to restrict the actions that users can take, other than entering, editng and viewing data. Allowing reports to be created on a replica violates that principle. Why not split the front and back end and replicate the back end only. Then you could create any kind of reports you needed on either front end without running into difficulties, since only the data would be replicated/synchronized. My experience is that front end replication leads to a *lot* of problems, especially with replicated local tables.
    Charlotte