New Lounger
    Thanks

Email Security Messages (Word 2002/ VB6)

I'm trying to send out emails as part of a mail merge application, using VB6. Everything works fine (except that the messages are sent straight out, so the users can't check the emails first, but not a lot l can do about that), but for each email l send, l get a dialog box...
    'a program is trying to automatically send e-mail on your behalf.
    Do you want to allow this?
    If this is unexpected, it may be a virus and you should choose "No".'
    Apart from the fact that l have to wait five seconds before the 'yes' is enabled, l get a message for every email - no good if l'm sending out a couple of hundred emails.

I've read a couple of articles about an 'April 25 update for Word 2002', which is supposed to remove the security prompts if messages are HTML rather than plain text - but l've run it, and it still happens.
    Other suggestions l've come across involve adminstration settings, but my company, and the sites that will be using this application will be essentially 'standalone' sites, with no administration. I don't know a lot about the way Outlook is managed, so l hope that makes sense.

BTW, if l use Word's mail merge wizard, l don't get any security messages. But when l tried recording the process as a macro, and then stepping through the code, l do. I have a digital certificate for my Word template, is there an equivalent for Outlook?

Thanks

Re: Email Security Messages (Word 2002/ VB6)

> I have a digital certificate for my Word template

It may be that you need to sign your VB6 project itself with your certificate, if that is possible.

When this security feature was first foisted upon developers in 2001 (I believe), MS issued a specific article for developers on how to work around it. There probably are links to it here in the Lounge, or you start with the Automation Security section of the Outlook Email Security Update at Slipstick.com to navigate MS' pronouncements.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Email Security Messages (Word 2002/ VB6)

Thanks for your reply. Considering the article says, 'The object model guard applies even if your code is digitally signed or running from a published Outlook form', l've decided to word around this by running the mail merge to separate documents, then manually constructing emails that l can then save in the drafts folder. This is better for me anyway, as l wasn't happy with the emails going straight out without the users being able to check them over first.