New Lounger
    Thanks

Document Opening problem (Word XP)

I've run into a situation I need help with, on a computer running Office XP Professional and Windows XP Home. When you open a Word document from Windows Explorer, by double-clicking on it, the file appears to open normally in Word. But when you try to do something with it, like a "Save As," the title bar at the top of the Document window starts flashing, as does the "Word" box in the task bar at the bottom of the screen. If you click on the Word box in the task bar, the Word window minimizes, revealing the "Save As" dialog box which was hidden behind it. However, it is not possible to actually use the Save As dialog to do anything.

This problem seems to occur with some, but not all files. Many of them, but not all, have arrived as Email attachments. Everything behaves normally when you open the file from within Word. I have tried running the "Repair Office" option from within the Control Panel Add/Remove Software applet, and have searched the MS Knowledge Base in vain for information. Can anyone steer me in the right direction?

Jon

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Document Opening problem (Word XP)

Essentially the same thing happens in Word 2000 running on Win98SE. I could find nothing in the M$ "Knowledge Base"

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Bruce: (& Jon)
    The same thing doesn't happen on Win98SE with Word 2000. I'm not familiar with Word 2002, so I didn't respond earlier. If this is happening to you, Bruce, perhaps there is a setting that you have in Windows that is causing it.

i.e. If I open a document from Windows Explorer (Word 2K in Win98SE), there is no difference in SaveAs or minimizing than if I opened it from within Word. If you go to Start/Settings/Folder Options/File Types tab/ & scroll to Microsoft Word Document, click Open & then Edit, do you get the same settings that I've shown in the attachment?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

Try doing a lounge search for the words steal focus and see if that helps.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Yup. It looks exactly the same. I kind of doubt that it is a windows setting, because like the original message, it doesn't happen on every document.

The other thing that I didn't mention is that this document which came as an email attachment, has only about 5 pages, but is 778K.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Bruce:
    Perhaps this is a problem with the document at the other end. 778 is too big a document to attach to a post. If you send it directly to me, I'll take a look at it & report back to the Lounge.
    Cheers,

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Bruce:
    I received the document & could find nothing wrong with it. I could not reproduce the behavior you mentioned. The size was caused by a graphic signature at the bottom of page 1. If you remove that & save the document (or SaveAs), the size reduces to 28.5 KB.

I think you should follow up on Jefferson's suggestion regarding stealing focus. <post#=113437>post 113437</post#> is one. However, I'm concerned that it causes everything to freeze up. I would try the following:
    1. Go to Start/Run & type
    sfc
    <enter>
    Then run the System File Checker to see if you have any corrupt files & if so, replace them.
    2. Then follow the steps in <post#=197827>post 197827</post#>

I can't think of any reason why opening the file from Windows Explorer would cause a crash, but not when opening it from Word. If the document were corrupted, you would expect problems in both situations. Perhaps there is a conflict with an application running in the background. Try rebooting Windows & make sure [bold]nothing[/bold] is running except systray & Explorer (not even a virus scanner). Then open this document from Explorer & see if there are problems.

Hope this helps.