New Lounger
    Thanks

Internet is Crappy (Windows XP Home)

I have a Cable Modem, and recently, in the past 3 weeks the Internet has been failing many times. I am permenetly connected thru LAN, and this should not happen at all, and is making me very mad. What could cause internet failing, and how do I fix this??

Thanks

Re: Internet is Crappy (Windows XP Home)

How do you define 'failing' ?
    You can not connect at all?
    You are connected but then your connection fails?
    Who is your ISP and have you checked with them that there is not a problem at their end?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Like I play a game called Warcraft, and many many times I will get Disconnected. This never should happen with cable. I don't know what to do, I will call my cable provider soon.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

But what about Leif's questions? When you say "disconnected" do you mean the game just quits or are you unable to browse to another web site too? I have a DSL connection and whenever it starts acting flaky, I open a CMD window and start ping'ing one or two known IP numbers, like the gateway or dns numbers of my ISP. Frequently I find that my internet connection is NOT broken, rather the site I was on or going to might be acting up or very busy.....

New Lounger
    Thanks

When the internet connection breaks, or I get disconnected, I believe that I do have the internet still, BUT, I also have AOL Instant Messenger, and that gets disconnected a lot, not at the same times as my game tho... But it still gets disconnected. And it definitely shouldn't.

Thanks

.................................................. ........
    When the internet connection breaks, or I get disconnected, I believe that I do have the internet still
    .................................................. ........

You are saying two different things. If the connection breaks or disconnected, you will not still have the internet.
    If it is as I THINK you are saying, then it sure sounds like your ISP provider/cable provider has the problem. As BigAl says, try another web site or try to pick up any email messages. If they work then your ISP is working OK.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You haven't addressed ANY of our questions. What about PING'ing?

New Lounger
    Thanks

I have figured it all out, the cable modem was so old, it was fried. Now everything is great

New Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry, I'm new in this lounge, but I think I'm having a similar problem. I just bought a new Vaio with XP on it. I set up my AOL account on it and have no trouble accessing the Internet via my high-speed cable provider. The problem is, when the computer wants to connect me to the Internet -- for example, to upgrade software, it goes through Microsoft Internet Explorer but can't log on. The program loads but doesn't connect. I don't know how to fix this. Do you have any suggestions?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Generally speaking, you want give to applications on your computer rights to access the Internet. It is strongly recommended not to do so! Imagine, your computer catches the virus or Trojan, which, disguising itself as "Upgrade