New Lounger
    Thanks

network problem with windows xp (xp professional)

i have an xp in a small business network that keeps playing hide & seek. i always see the computer's name in the network, but can't always access the c drive. i've shared the c drive and changed some settings that were turning off
    the network card to save power. i also made a change in the registry that had to do with auto disconnecting from the network in a certain amount of time. also added the service advertising protocol and thought that fixed the problem. help!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: network problem with windows xp (xp professional)

If you drill down, do you see it in the Workgroup? Sometimes that is the only way I can find my network machines on a small home network.
    H Lewton

New Lounger
    Thanks

i just looked for it in workgroup and it's not there. sigh. hey, here's something i forgot to mention: the error message we get when we click on it in Network Neighborhood is: Melinda (the name of the computer) is unavailable. The logon server cannot be found. Does that give you any more ideas? Michelle

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I think that disconnecting from the network isn't a good idea and is the cause of your problem. If you did it for security reasons, it is better to use group policy to achieve this goal. Try to change settings back and see what's happen.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I have the same problem -- I can drill down and see the machine in the workgroup but can't Map to it. (Small office -- both machines are XP Pro) But, sometimes I can see it and connect by just clicking on network neighborhood. Peek-a-boo is a great name for this problem! I have shared and tried the NetBuei change and nothing seems to work. I have not chosen to automatically disconnect from the network. Anyone have any other ideas to try?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Are these machine that you are trying to see turned on when you start up your machine? You may be seeing a ghost uf the link that was made from the last time you started this machine.

How machines are on this SMALL network?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Banned Member
    Thanks

I have 3 computers Networked thru a Hub as a Workgroup. I have no problems sharing any files or printers. Here's how I Netwoked my Computers. Run the Networking Wizard on the Computer that has the printers and scanners hooked up to it 1st, and then do the same thing with the second computer>Click Next when the "Welcome To New Connection Wizard" box comes up. At the 1st Screen" Select A connection Method" Click OTHER, Then Click NEXT, The second Screen " Other Internet Connection Methods" Choose " This computer connets to the internet directly or through a network hub. Other computers on my network also connect directly or through a hub" and click next , no matter what it ask you after that just click Next.. Of course none of this means anything if your not using a Hub or router.

You will need these things showing under " Local Area Connection Properties"
    Client For Microsoft Networks
    File & Print Sharing For Microsoft Networks
    NWLink NetBIOS
    NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Compatable transport Protocol
    Internet Protocol ( TCP/IP )

Now I only say this because it has worked flawlessly for me using those settings. And thats the only way I could get it to do so. It took me for ever searching the internet to find these settings. I can also if need be tell you how to run the cables for your Modem, Eternet Card, Hub, And Computers. Let me know. Because they do have to be hooked up a certain way.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Dave: I am not sure what a "ghost" is but I doubt that some resident image is the problem since rebooting both machines doesn't resolve the issue. I did not mention that this machine -- we call it judy -- has another interesting quirk that might be related. The IM software logs her in-and-out of IM several times a day. We know it because we get a "sound" each time. Judy can be seen from my PC on most days but sometimes it can't. On those days, nothing seems to work. I can drill down in the workgroup and find her but still can't connect or Map to her. The dialog window tells me to log on as a guest but without a password, it can't be done. Any more ideas?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts

Sounds more like a hardware problem with your last revelation. Have you checked the NIC? How about swapping the network cable? Are you plugging directly into a hub or a wall connector? Check those out too.

Joe
    Joe

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts

What are OSes are the other machines using? If they are 9x,ME you can try adding NETBUI the XP network connection. It is sometimes more reliable when older Windows version are involved.

Joe
    Joe