New Lounger
    Thanks

Dell Shut Down after 8 hrs (XP Home)

Help:

I am still trying to figure out what after aboiut right hours the comouter just gets tired and won't perform any tasks. I shut it down and start it up again and it works fine.

Thanks,

Bob in Sacramento

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Dell Shut Down after 8 hrs (XP Home)

Huh? Can you be more specific?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Big Al:

The first sign of fatigue is a message indicating that the pacbell server cannot be found. Nothing wrong with the connection or DSL line. I just shut down and shart up again and everything seems to work fine. If I come back to the comouter after a longer period I get a message " Insufficient system rsources exisit to complete the requested service. Everywhere I click I get this message.

I have been home recently and began to notice this each day. I never was bothered before because I came home from work and then turned it on.

Thanks,

Bob

Thanks,

Bob

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

The first thing that comes to mind is a program with a memory leak. If you haven't, apply all available critical updates. Disable any non-essential startup processes to eliminate possible offending programs. Since it takes 8 hours for the problem to manifest itself, you're in for a looooooong while of troubleshooting before you can determine if something fixed the problem.

Good luck!
    -Mark

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Mark's probably right - you need to check for a "leak" somewhere. But, I wouldn't rule out minor trouble in DSL-Land as well. I don't know anything about PacBell, although it seems I've read things in e-zines and newsletters about folks (users) having DSL trouble with them. I have DSL via Alltel phone company (was Verizon) and Iglou, my ISP in Louisville. More often than I would like I get very frustrating outages that almost can't be traced. Both the phone company and the ISP say "it isn't us!" I suggest you get in the habit of opening a CMD prompt and doing a PING on your ISP's DNS or Gateway IP number. I do that frequently and many times get one or two timeouts out of four and other times all four timeout. DSL is a GREAT aid to a user but I think it can be very flaky at times. When you add to that the possible acting up of a router, modem, browser, etc. a poor user is really in a crap-shoot. Check what Mark suggested FIRST! I know your profile says you use IE6 but your problem sounds much like an old Netscape bugaboo. Maybe you've got something in the wood pile.....