New Lounger
    Thanks

Word - Merge to forms (XP)

SITUATION: I have a form which needs to be sent to approx. 100 users (lawyers) for their annual Evaluations. The first part of the form is lawyers name, dates of hire, call to Bar dates ect., which are fixed - for this I have a data file in Excel and can do a merge. However, the rest of the form I would like them to fill out electronically, and have created the document as a form, with standard word form fields - this way those who have not yet received training can complete them easily by tabbing through the document.
    PROBLEM:
    1. When I run the merge, I loose my Word form fields for the lawyer to use.
    2. I need to send a separate document to each lawyer - a merge creates one document, not very helpful.
    SUGGESTIONS????
    I just know there has to be a way to do this, and I'm sure I'm missing something! Eventually I will have all the data in Access, but for this year I'm doing the best I can with what my client has.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word - Merge to forms (XP)

Microsoft has a workaround for the first problem in WD2002: Text Form Fields Are Not Retained During Mail Merge, but I have found it to be clumsy and slow.

You might be better off by using Automation to loop through the Excel table and filling the first part of the document in code, then saving it as a separate file.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word - Merge to forms (XP)

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by gwhitfield on 20-Nov-02 22:11. Hyperlinks added)</P>Hi, I had the same problem of needing separate documents too, but l couldn't find a way to do it easily, but If you take a look at, http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindy...r/mergfaq2.htm, there is sample code on saving each merged letter to a separate file.

With the form fields disappearing, l've not seen that myself, but l knew l'd seen something about it on MSDN, and with a quick look, l found the article, 'WD2002: Text Form Fields Are Not Retained During Mail Merge Q286841' (from MSDN October 2001). It has a macro workaround answer.
    I hope that helps.
    Clare.