Star Lounger
    Thanks

This record has been edited by another user (lie) (Ac2000/SQLServer 2000)

Half a lifetime ago we discussed here a problem I had with an Ac2000 app which accesses records held in an SQLServer database. Occasionally, the users would get the erroneous message that the record they were trying to save had been edited and saved by another user, and were given the choice of copying to clipboard (useless) or dropping their own changes (aaaaargh). Once this has happened, the record is somehow ruined and will give the same error whenever anyone tries to edit it.

Well, we still don't know what triggers the original error (which still happens a few times a week), but fascinatingly we now seem to know what makes the error recur. You can open an affected record, edit it and save it without problems *unless* you edit one of the four multi-line text fields on the form, all of which link to columns of type 'ntext'. If you edit one of those (all former Memo fields in the original MDB) you can't save. Note these fields work fine on 95% of the records!

Is there anything I should check about these fields?

James

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: This record has been edited by another user (lie) (Ac2000/SQLServer 20

Do you really need to have the memo fields as ntext? When you upsize that is the default, but we almost always change it to be text, as there are some pretty significant performance hits when you use either the nvarchar or ntext data types. Unless you are using languages with non-Arabic characters, we avoid UniCode. If you can get by without it, try running append queries to move the data into a new table that uses the varchar and text data types. (You could try to edit the data directly in SQL Server also, and see what happens.)

You might also check and make sure you have all the latest service packs for Access 2000 and SQL Server 2000 - though at this point there seem to be one or two nasty problems with SP3 for Access 2000.
    Wendell

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: This record has been edited by another user (lie) (Ac2000/SQLServer 20

Yeah, I know, I just accepted the defaults when I upsized. I can try changing the 4 fields to "text" and see whether that helps. I'll check that Ac2000 is at SR1, it should be, and we'll check the SQLServer patch state too. I just wish someone else had been here before and seen this problem!

Thanks

James