Lounger
    Thanks

Restricted user access to report/query-definition (A97)

The users of my Access 97 database want more power regarding data access and reporting. Thus I have the following questions:

1. How can I allow users to change the layout of reports or create (and store) new reports themselves, but forbid access to the codemodule?

2. How can I allow users to create (and store) new (selection-)queries themselves, but have the resulting datasheet always be writeprotected? Also they should not be able to create or run action queries.

3. Are there any exisiting 3rd-party AddIns for these tasks?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Restricted user access to report/query-definition (A97)

I know this doesn't help you very much, but in access 2000 you can password protect your code modules.

As to your other questions, you may be able to do some of what you want with access security. However I have no experience with this I'm afraid.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The answers are that you can't, and to my knowledge, there are no add-ins to allow it. If you use Access security, you can specify the particular objects that a particular user or group has permissions on, but that's the extent of your control. You can't specify the kind of queries they can create and there is no way that I know of to force the results of a query to be read only to its creator. If your users want to be able to modify the application themselves, then you don't have any means of preventing them from breaking it. Your only alternative is to give each of them their own front end (you do have a split front-end/back-end, right?) and allow them to do their modifying on their own copy. I can guarantee that their tinkering will break the application because I've seen that sort of thing happen repeatedly.

In later versions of Access, you can password protect the code modules, but that applies to all code modules, not just particular ones. It would allow users to modify forms and reports but would prevent them from changing or adding to the code behind those objects. It would also prevent them from using the wizards to add buttons, etc. to a form.
    Charlotte

Lounger
    Thanks

Bad news, but still - thanks a lot.

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your reply! What can be done by access security I have done...

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Actually, the strategy Charlotte suggests of giving those who want to tinker their own front-end for that sort of work, and a standard one for the day-to-day stuff is exactly what we've done in several situations. It also solves the problems of things users develop going away when you make maintenance changes to the standard front-end.
    Wendell