Lounger
    Thanks

Import problems (97)

When I try to import a very large Excel file into Access i am having troubles. The import works, but when I go look at the data some of the data is in the wrong field. For example one record might have a name in the SSN field. Another might have SSN in the Zip field. I looked at the Excel file and everything is in the right spot there. What is going on?
    Thanks
    Dgw

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Import problems (97)

This is not really related but it might be something to look at...

Does the Excel file have null fields?

When I import sequel queries from a Cobol database into Excel (using Client Access), if there are any null fields, they get populated with whatever value the importing program last saw.
    (Ex: the cell in column F = 8, the cells in columns G and H were null - all 3 columns would be 8)
    Now, I use 0s instead of leaving cells blank.

Chris

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Import problems (97)

One thing to check for is commas within fields in Excel. If the data wasn't originally created in Excel, commas may cause imported data to split into several columns unexpectedly. The easiest way to get around the problem is to link to the Excel sheet instead of importing, and then do an append query from the linked sheet to whichever table you want.
    Charlotte