New Lounger
    Thanks

updating linked graphics (PowerPoint 2002 SP-2)

I've inserted graphics with links. They don't appear as OLE objects, i.e. they are not in the Links list, but if I modify the source graphic, I see the change next time I open the presentation.

Does anyone know if I can force PowerPoint to refresh the changes without closing and reopening the document? I've been examining the linkformat and oleformat properties in VBA but my graphics are not linked objects - at least, not officially.

I would use OLE linking except I am using EPS graphics, and PowerPoint won't let me embed linked EPS files.

Any help or experience is welcome.

- Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: updating linked graphics (PowerPoint 2002 SP-2)

I don't know if this applies to the graphics you have in your presentation, but when PPT detects a linked object, the 'Links' item on the Edit menu becomes active. If you click on Edit | Links, a menu is presented which has an 'Update now' button, which I presume updates in situ. (I say presume, because when I tried this out using an Excel fragment as a linked object, everytime I altered the excel spreadsheet, then even without saving the amended data, as soon as I switched back to PPT, the data had altered - so I had no need to use this Links menu item.)
    HTH
    Silverback

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: updating linked graphics (PowerPoint 2002 SP-2)

Thanks for your response. Here are some more details:

The only way I can make the Links menu light up for an inserted graphic is to use the "Insert Object" menu, select "create from file" and check the "link to file" checkbox. Otherwise, my links are more like shortcuts to the source file, refreshed when the presentation loads.

I would employ the "insert object" method for my EPS graphics, but PowerPoint throws an error. Microsoft says:

"If you link to EPS files there has to be a program to open them, such as, Microsoft Viso, Corel Draw, Photo Shop. PowerPoint cannot open the EPS files."

This doesn't seem right on to me. I have a great EPS viewer (irfanview), and as I mentioned Word doesn't have a problem linking EPS files.

Oh well.