2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Setup Problem with USB 2.0 External Hard Drive

Hi,

I'm halfway through installing an external backup drive for a friend, and I'm not quite sure how to proceed. Her system has a single fixed 40 MB hard drive, and runs Windows 2000. I just installed a USB 2.0 Card, and once the software drivers were installed it looked fine. I then went about adding the external hard drive; it's an 80 MB Maxtor, which I've put into one of those "case kits" that makes a regular hard drive into an external USB 2 Hard Drive (set up as the slave drive).

There's no problem as far as Windows 2000 recognizing it. When I go to control panel and check the hardware, there it is. But in Windows explorer, there is no drive letter assigned to it. It's an OEM drive, so I'm sure I need to set up the primary DOS partition in FDISK, and then format it. I'd have no problem with that, as the file system on the computer's C Drive is FAT32, and I could just use a Windows 98 Boot Disk to run FDISK.

But, the Boot Disk won't "see" a drive connected by USB 2, will it? How do I access the drive to begin with, so that I can create a partition, and then format it? Can I do it in the setup I've described, or do I have to temporarily install it directly into the computer in order to do the necessary setup? If so, then will it be properly recognized once put back in the external kit?

Other than the C drive, my friend's computer has a CD-Rom (D) and DVD-Rom (E), so this should become the F drive.

Thanks for any help.

John

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Setup Problem with USB 2.0 External Hard Drive

Up front, I've not done an external HDD under USB. Did the "case kit" have any instructions with it? When you look in Control Panel, does the drive show up as a USB device? Sounds like you haven't yet tried the W98 boot disk, so I would go ahead and boot, then run FDISK and see if FDISK will find the drive. Can't hurt anything, right? Just running FDISK won't disturb anything, even if you press 5 (I think) to change drives. If it doesn't find the device, it'll tell you so. Let us know.....

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Setup Problem with USB 2.0 External Hard Drive

Like Al, I've never set up an external drive like this. I've found a PDF which describes the installation of a Western Digital external drive, and it states that the USB 2.0 card driver should be installed before the drive is connected. Have a look and see if this helps.

Failing that, the only other thing I could suggest would be slaving the new drive to the existing drive in the normal way and partitioning & formatting it in the normal way.

Please let us (me) know how this goes for future reference.