Star Lounger
    Thanks

System Suite 4.0

Just wondering if anyone else has had any experiences with System Suite 4.0, now from vCom at http://www.v-com.com/product/ss_ind.html (hope I made this a hot link)

I bought this suite in a quick rush to get my XP Home system back up and running after a failry calamitous crash.

The application is many faceted - a Google on it will produce a couple of reviews.

Anyone else wha has used it and has any suggestions or comments?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: System Suite 4.0

You may find it works great for, but you asked for opinions, so...

I think it's light years behind equivalent Norton products. I have installed all the OnTrack Suite and find them very buggy. It's also very slow compared to Nortons stuff.

I also did not like the way it tried to take over my PC. It wants to change the way zip files are handled and manipulate the right-click menus and more. WindowsXP has it's own zip mechaniasm and anyone else in the world either has WinZip or PHZip...did we really need ZipMagic?

But the one thing I disliked most was that the defrag utility will not work on hard drives when set up in a RAID. Nowhere on the package (or in the package) will it point out this major flaw. This means that most of the high-speed and gaming systems cannot use the product. I only found out after searching their site and found this minor detail buried away in the FAQ's. Have you tried to return software lately? I own it, it wasn;t cheap but it is useless (for me)...

Before buying any software package that you're not 100% familiar with, you should first visit the FAQ screens on their site. This will give you an indication of problems that others may be having. And while you're at it, call their tech support number and see how many buttons you have to press before you speak to something that breathes.

HTH
    - Ricky

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: System Suite 4.0

Thanks for your thoughts.

I picked up the software to provide a quick and dirty solution for firewall and virus protection, et al. Haven't used the other options that you referred to, although I did read a review that indicated that the disk maintenance functions - defrg, etc - were considered better than the built in ones in Win XP Home.

So far, so good - I also now religiously use Drive Image for regular backups.