Apologies if this isn't the right forum--I wasn't sure whether to post here or in 'Exchange,' but here seemed slightly more on-target.

We're piloting an Exchange2000 environment, and we've run into a quirk that has our users screaming. Running Outlook (2k or XP) in IMO, when I search our campus LDAP directory for 'd lewis' I get 3 names: 2 Davids and a Darren. When I run the same search in Outlook/Exchange, using the Exchange LDAP link, I get no matches.

Examining the logs, it's clear that when Outlook checks LDAP from IMO, it globs each word boundary--for example, 'd lewis' becomes (cn='d* lewis*') in the LDAP lookup. But in MAPI mode, Outlook only globs the end of the search string (cn='d lewis*'). Here's the log from the MAPI search:

[22/Nov/2002:09:10:21 -0500] conn=95813 op=1 SRCH base="o=Princeton University,c=US" scope=2 filter="(&(mail=*)(|(mail=d lewis*)(|(cn=d lewis*)(|(sn=d lewis*)(givenname=d lewis*)))))" [22/Nov/2002:09:10:21 -0500] conn=95813 op=1 RESULT err=0 tag=101 nentries=0 etime=0

So 'd lewis' retrieves nothing, while 'lewis' retrieves 42 entries: it's feast or famine. Worse, because there's no globbing of the firstname, 'David Lewis' also doesn't work--you need to know the person's middle initial, and even get the period and whitespace correct in order to force a match.

Since Outlook can do this perfectly well in IMO, it seems like there ought to be a way to make it behave the same as a MAPI client, yes? But nobody here has any idea how.

Any advice greatly appreciated.