Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Slow Response (Win XP Pro)

My former boss (heh, heh) at the television network where I now do volunteer work has a fresh copy of XP Pro on a PIII 500 with 384meg RAM. This is a hi-tech guy, but new to XP. He showed me today that when he double-clicks a file to open it or even right-clicks to get a context menu, it takes a long time before XP responds. I looked at his MSCONFIG with him and there's nothing there except a driver for his scanner. I also checked right-click, Open With to see how big the list of file types was and it's pretty short. We just can't figure out what's taking Windows so long to decide what to do when he double-clicks or right clicks a file. And, we're talking text files, spreadsheets, graphics, etc. I checked, for example, and his TXT is associated with Notepad but XP takes forever to respond. I was sure this topic was discussed here but I can't find it. Any ideas?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Slow Response (Win XP Pro)

Al--
    How many processes are running considering a wide variety of software that your high tech friend could have loaded onto his machine--maybe even some exotic or different CPU intensive stuff that might have to do with his special skills and programs having to do within TV network technology.

Why not send him to the processes Tab of Task Manager, armed with Black Viper's helpful explanations of processes to help him loses some of the processes he does not need and to kill them from startup not through msconfig which will not guarantee they won't come right back again at some future point, but rather as the Viper suggests by typing "services.msc" in the run box.
    Winlogon is the one process he doesn't want to kill--or he cold have considerable trouble booting without this one.

Then have him minimize the performance tab to the taskbar or he can minimize the whole box somewhere on the desktop to a bigger size to see more detail and monitor as he right clicks for the context menu or does those things that you say causes him to slow like a slug.

Also--how full is his drive or different partitions if he has several? If the one his OS is on if he only has one OS XP is very full that might slow him down.I don't know how much time he has on that computer every day, but a Chkdsk and defrag might help him although I doubt these will fully stop this behavior.

He might increase the maximum and minimum of his page file to say, 1200 each. It defaults to 1.5 X the amount of RAM he has. This seemed to help me.

defrag

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Nope, none of that. Thanx for trying, Defrag. While I was with him we had task manager running on the screen showing processes as he double-clicked a TXT file icon on his screen. Nothing in processes or performance. The line barely makes a blip. Personally, I feel it's something to do with file associations and we may have to do another clean-install if we can't find it. Everything else on the performance of the system moves really fast, it's only when XP has to figure out what to do with a file type.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

This type thing happens so often. I wish I knew--I hate for the solution to be a clean install.
    Can any type of system restore help? Microsoft people told me scan /reg restore was coming in SP1 but they didn't do it. Don't know that either would have fixed this--system restore is great when it works, but many people with long experience are reporting all over that it often does not. I found scan /reg restore to work at times when sys restore didn't and you could tweak it to 99 actual restore points if you wanted--but that was Win 9x. I guess if I wanted it that badly I could install a 9x on another partition. I hate that your friend gets an XP machine and is stuck with this kind of problem--if only there were some kind of magic analyzer--I see these contraptions in droves from $60 to $300 at the computer swap shows--I wonder how good they are but am not betting money I need to go for other software to find out. If you do please put it up Al.

Thanks,

defrag

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

BigAl, SP-1? What AV product? Did you try to disable it? Any firewall? Did you disable it? LAN or standalone? Notice any unusual disk activity?

Joe
    Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

SP-1? Not yet...
    What AV product? None yet... Just set it up couple days ago...
    Any firewall? Yeah, he's behind a company hardware firewall, but these are local machine characteristics none other displays... Don't think it's the firewall, but not sure...
    LAN or standalone? Company LAN...
    Notice any unusual disk activity? None that I saw while we were working together... Just a normal second or two flicker when it finds the file and instantly loads it.

The period of delay after you click or right-click is dead space without any drive activity or task manager significant activity. It's a real puzzler.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Just a thought - you could look at the file association registry items with RegCleaner. I haven't had the problems you describe but after I used RegCleaner and removed all of the associations marked N/A there was a marked speedup in cleaning the registry with McAfee Quick Clean. Could be that a file association is sending XP on some kind of goose chase. You can back up the deletions and restore them if you need to. Kind of a shot in the dark but.....

kip

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Jkipk--

You can also restore file associations quickly here #25. Whether that is gonna fix Al's friend's machine, I don't know.

defrag

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Good Point, Kip. I haven't used RegCleaner for quite some time so maybe he and I should give it a shot.

Administrator
    Thanks

Big Al, With no activity to speak of, I'd think it was a timing or timeout problem. Are XP drivers installed for keyboard, mouse, etc.? Does the same thing happen if you disconnect from the LAN?

Joe
    Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I didn't check keyboard or mouse, Joe, but I did send him a note last nite about un-hooking from the network to see what happens. I read several things in newsgroups that seem to indicate that it might have something to do with searching the network. I'll have to wait til tomorrow to see what we see.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I always see the suggestion to make sure you have the latest video driver, so I'll mimic it here. Who knows, maybe!
    H Lewton

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Yeah, you're right also. Since he's a high-tech guru I never thought to ask him that either. Will do. Tomorrow's gonna be a busy one.....

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Thanx to you and a couple newsgroup postings, Joe. Problem (tentatively) solved. As soon as we pulled the LAN plug, the response skyrocketed! He has no network shares mapped but since he's a division director, he does have a couple of shortcuts on his system to files on the Enterprise servers that he needs to use frequently. As I left him with it (he's my mentor, after all!) he's gonna get rid of the shortcuts and just access the network locations when he needs the files. I also suggested he look in XP's native settings or TweakUI XP for some place to "turn off" the automatic checking of network stuff. I think I saw those options somewhere but have never had to check 'em out. No Blue Monday here!

Administrator
    Thanks

Big Al, In Windows Explorer he needs to look at Tools | Folder Options | View. Then make sure 'Automatically search for network folders and printers' is unchecked. I'm sure there are some sort of time out values in the registry but I've got no clue what they are.

Joe
    Joe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast