Lounger
    Thanks

DSL & NT 4 Server (Win XP (SP1), NT 4 server (SP4))

I was wondering if anyone has had this problem and can share a fix for what I'm doing wrong.

We have a small network (NT4 Server, SP4) with a mix of clients (Win 98, NT4 workstation, Win 2000 & Win XP). Our original configuration used static IP's on all machines. We recently added a DSL connection using a Netopia Cayman 3546 router (NAT, DHCP server enabled). The Win 98 & NT 4 workstations PC's were changed to dynamic IP & auto DNS and had no problem connecting to the internet & our LAN.

The Win 2000 & Win XP PC's on the otherhand are not cooperating. When I switch to dynamic IP's I can see the internet but not our network (when selecting a network drive the error message says "local device name already in use", if I disconnect the network drives & then switch to dynamic IP it says "cannot find network path"). When I go back to static IP's I can see our network but lose the internet connection. I've been concentrating my efforts on one XP machine, trying variations of static & dynamic settings, without any luck. I do not have the XP firewall enabled & I've tried turning off the simple file sharing option.

Any suggestions or links are greatly appreciated!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: DSL & NT 4 Server (Win XP (SP1), NT 4 server (

You might try Tim Higgins' "new" web site. He used to own the web site mentioned in my <post#=199796>post 199796</post#>, but sold that site. I've gotten a lot of good networking tips from his original site but haven't checked out his new place yet.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: DSL & NT 4 Server (Win XP (SP1), NT 4 server (SP4))

We have an NT4 SP6a server. All Win2k & XPP workstations use DHCP & auto DNS work without any problems. You might want to investigate SP6a for the server. SP4 is very old now. What SP level are the Win2k & XP workstation?

Joe
    Joe

Lounger
    Thanks

Joe,

Both the win2k & XP workstations have their respective SP-1's. I will look into the NT 4 server SP6a to see if they mention anything relating to my problem.

Thanks,
    John

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

John,
    Be sure to look at SP5 also. Even though the service packs are cumulative, the documentation for SP6 may only be what was beyond SP5.

Joe
    Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks

You might also consider loading NetBEUI protocol on your Win2000 and XP machines to handle the local network communication.

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Charlie,

I found netbeui of the XP Cd yesterday & came back to post my results when I saw your response. It's the easy way out for now but I'll take it.

Thanks to everyone for you help.

John