Thread: Excel (XP)

Lounger
    Thanks

Excel (XP)

None of the macros that I record in Excel (in personalXLS) are saved the next time I load the program. Any ideas?

BTW, when I upgraded my OS from Win 2000 Pro to XP (I had previously upgraded from Office 2000 to Office XP) ALL of my Excel macros were gone. So were all the toolbar customization I had in Word and Excel. Seems like those might be related...

TIA

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Excel (XP)

Your toolbar customisations live in a file called excel#.xlb. The exact name of this file depends on the XL version, but the extansion is the same. Do a find on your computer for files with that extension. Double click the oldest one to load it into Excel and you should get the customisations from XL2000 into XL XP.

In your personal.xls file, check if there is any code that says Thisworkbook.Saved=True. It fools Excel to believe personal.xls is never modified and XL won't ask to save when you close it.
    I included a little macro in personal.xls:

Sub Hide AndSave()
    Thisworkbook.Visible=False
    Thisworkbook.Save
    End Sub
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Microsoft Excel MVP, WMVP
    www.jkp-ads.com
    Professional Office Developers Association

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the help, but Excel won't open any of the PERSONAL.XLS files I found, even after renaming. A dialog box appears offering me the choice of disabling macros, enabling macros or entering the help system. End result the same, the file won't open. I did try using Notepad but could not find any statement like ThisWorkbookSaved.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

From the Tools menu select Macros, then Security, and on the Security Level tab select Medium.

You might also want to select Trust all installed add-ins and templates on the Trusted Sources tab.

Andrew C