5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Word 97 thesaurus is empty

When one of my users calls up the thesaurus in Word 97 SR-2, part of M/S Office, it opens with the selected
    word in the "Looked up" box but nothing in either the "Meanings" or the "Replace with
    Synonym" boxes. This is installed on a Windows 98 PC with 128Mb RAM.

I have attempted to resolve this by:
    1) reinstalling with original settings;
    2) a) Remove Office97
    defrag the HDD
    c) do a fresh install of Office.

I have also posted queries to the following forums:
    Abuzz (at New York Times)
    VirtualDr (where it was recommended that I try this site)
    Granville

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word 97 thesaurus is empty

Without looking up the issue in Technet, which I assume has been attempted, I'd be inclined to do the usual: rename normal.dot and, if that doesn't work, dump the Word registry folder (some people only dump settings--then, too, you may need to dump the Shared Tools folder under Office in the registry--not sure--anybody else know?), if that doesn't work, use Eraser97 to completely remove Office 97, delete the Office folder under program files, and completely reinstall.

I don't see that you've renamed normal.dot.
    You say you removed Office, but if you didn't do it with Eraser97, I'm not convinced it would have worked.

So, you may want to start over with my list. Let me know if you need more specific instructions. If you're not sure, ask.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I had the same problem, and was equally baffled. I had to modify the registry to fix the problem.

Check out this MS Tech Note:
    http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/ar...s/q236/3/94.asp
    Jim

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Just been reading about etiquette, so thought I should say "thanks".[img]/w3timages/icons/shy.gif[/img]

Just as importantly, we found a very different solution which is puzzeling.[img]/w3timages/icons/hairy.gif[/img]

We changed the thesaurus to "English (US)" and it works fine, except for things like "colour". I'll have to track down a proper solution but the user is happy with ot for the time being.
    Granville

BAM

Along with the following the steps and editing the Registry per the Microsoft Knowledgebase article, another item that can cause the Thesaurus to not function correctly is reinstalling Word 97 without also reinstalling the Service Releases. (I believe it was SR2 that replaced the Thesaurus to remove some potentially offensive phrases.)

Note that even if you feel the Thesaurus is functioning properly, the SR's still need to be reinstalled since you reinstalled Office.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Cheers!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Well, Gran, it looks like there was a purpose to this problem in the first place. Looks like it brought you to WOPR...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, but now I'm hooked. In fact I couldn't tell you if I'd miss this or email more! (Probably WOPR as I can't ignore my users.)

And to BAM, I'll check the SR level, thanks.
    Granville