Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

No Internet connection

I'm at wit's end. Today I connected my new home network. I use two XP machines, a Motorola SB4200 cable modem, and a Linksys BEFSR41 cable router. My ISP is Adelphia.net. History: I went to cable modem about a week ago. It ran fine on computer A. Then I bought computer B to replace Computer A at my home office desk. Computer A went downstairs for my wife to use. The cable modem worked great with Computer B. Then today I tried to connect everything, and I have mixed results.

The home network works fine. I can see files on both computers from either location. But I don't have Internet access! None! I'm new at this, and although I've tried to read the installation instructions carefully, I still can't get onto the Internet. To write this post, I had to reconnect Computer B directly to the modem. (I also had to fiddle with my Network and Internet Connections settings in Control Panel, and then I had to restart my computer to get it to recognize my modem's settings!) So anyway: What do I need to look for? I'll bet it's something simple and obvious! Thanks!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: No Internet connection

I have the same router. Remember, you have to put your ISP's gateway and DNS IP numbers in the router, along with your assigned IP address. At least that's what I did since I don't use DHCP on my small LAN. I'm thinking it's your router settings only because you said that Computer B worked fine with the cable modem directly.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Our local cable company (MediaCom) requires a MAC address. Sometimes Linksys tries to "Spoof" your PCs MAC address during installation instead of using its own. If this is the case then your internal network will work fine but the internet will not be available. To solve this I have had to go back into the Linksys software and uncheck the box that basically says spoof the PC MAC address (I cannot remember the exact text at this time). Then I had to write down the Linksys MAC address call the ISP, give it to them. Reboot the cable modem, router and all PCs. It took a couple of hours the first time I ran into this but it is becoming routine.
    Again this is just an educated guess, but exactly what I would look for.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks! I plan to have this information handy when I call LinkSys this afternoon.

BTW: I really like that line about always getting the last word. I told my wife about it, but she didn't see the humor.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Big Al! Please bear with me--I'm new at this. You say you "don't use DHCP on [your]...small LAN." DHCP means dynamic IP addresses, right? Well, if you don't use DHCP, how else do you connect? And what's the advantage one way or the other?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The advantage to DHCP is easy of setup and simplicity, especially in WinXP! YOU don't have to do a thing, Windows and your router do it all for you auto-magically. In my case, however, I had a couple of reasons for wanting the IP addresses of my internal machines to stay STATIC, not the least of which is remote control. I use a program called RADMIN (and before it, I used pcAnywhere) which requires that the viewer on the remote machine must know the IP address of the machine it's trying to connect to. Now admittedely when you use the internal range of 192.168.x.x as DHCP does, on a small home network the IP addresses aren't likely to change. But, I just felt more comfortable with assigning the addresses manually. Different strokes.... as the saying goes. By the way, on the Linksys router, you also have to put in "forwarding" IP address information when you want to "open" a specific port.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Well, Big Al, when I came home from work this evening, I reconnected my cables to prepare for making a phone call to LinkSys support. Then I restarted my computer and, as I live and breathe, the #@*$% Internet connection worked! I'm using it now to write this. It's a beautiful thing. Go figure....

Thanks for the advice! Oh--one more thing! I tried to print a document from my downstairs computer, but it wouldn't print. The printer is connected to the main machine upstairs in my office. On the second computer, I used the MS-Works word processor to create the document. When I clicked on File > Print, the computer could "see" the printer, and the print command appeared to execute OK. But, when I went upstairs to see the output, there was none. The main machine was on, the printer was on...but no printer output. I distinctly recall something during the network setup that said my computers and printers were all connected. I checked Conrol Panel, and this printer is configured for sharing. Now, I also saw another "new" printer ("Auto HP DeskJet 960C series on Kate"), which would appear to be the same printer but...I dunno. This ghost printer is NOT configured for sharing, and where you expect to see "Ready," there's a zero. Why do I have this ghost printer, and how does it figure into this scheme?

Thanks again!