Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cable Modem Problem

One of my friends has a problem with connecting to the internet. He tried for the first time to use a TV tuner program. It would not work and then he found he could not log on to the internet and that System Restore would not work. HE phoned his ISP and they went through the steps to confirm the computer/cable modem settings were correct. The ISP suggested that the winsock file might be corrupt.

Can someone give me some idea what else could be wrong or how to"fix" the winsock file.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Cable Modem Problem

Sketchy information. Questions: 1) Has he UNINSTALLED whatever the TV tuner software was? 2) If he were to open a command prompt, can he PING some known IP address and get a response? 3) I assume no recent backup or you wouldn't have asked the question, but he could always extract the WinME original copy of the Winsock.DLL file. 4) What do you mean that System Restore wouldn't work? Did it "fail" or just not put the system back in shape? 5) Any other considerations like a network, router, or whatever?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for your quick input. I will find out the answers to your questions and post back

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have more information. This is a stand alone computer, not on a LAN. It is a Pentium II, 233, 288MB RAM. When Iwqas talking him tonight when he boots up he gets an error message saying that the TCP/IP protocol cannot be found. We were trying to figure out how load this protocol.