New Lounger
    Thanks

Biometrics(fingerprint) for MsAccess (Access97)

Looking for information on how to use fingerprint scanning to allow access to a MsAccess97.mdb.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Biometrics(fingerprint) for MsAccess (Access97)

If you're planning to use the fingerprint to allow people to open the database, you're going to need a separate application to capture and verify the biometrics, as well as the hardware to handle capturing the fingerprint. If you're trying to use it to allow certain people to do certain things inside the application, that's a different issue. Could you expand on what exactly you need to do?
    Charlotte

New Lounger
    Thanks

At this point several possibilities exist. Each user could have his/her own front end allowing for them to only access their selected data. The other option is to allow them entry to the application and then filter the data to them. Let me describe the application I have.
    The application is for the custom printing of post operative physician orders. Each MD has a different set of basic orders that can be modified by adding or deleting orders. The MD selects his name from the list brigs up his orders either adds/deletes orders, reviews for completeness then prints. The physician table has a image of the MD signature in it that is placed on the orders. There in lies the problem. The MDs have given their password to the nurse to pre-print the orders for them. Legal says they cant do that and currently
    the signature data has been removed so the MD has to sign the orders. I have been tasked with finding a way to put the signatures back on the orders without using passwords(as they can be given out by the MD). Fingerprint scanning seemed to be the best option. Ideally the easiest system for maintenance would have the fingerprint app determine validity if true open the mdb and then use the data to select the correct MD

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'd suggest you start with a http://www.google.com search on "biometrics fingerprint scanning" and peruse the results. One I turned up with that search was http://www.zvetcobiometrics.com/verifi_products1.htm, and http://www.findbiometrics.com/Pages/finger...gerprint_1.html has an overview and links to several other sites. You need to start from that end rather than from the Access end. Just make sure you ask whether their product can be made to work with Access 97. Some products work fine with VB but not with VBA or specifically not with Access because it doesn't use the same controls as VB and other Office apps.
    Charlotte