Thread: CDRW Slow Burn

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

CDRW Slow Burn

I have a HP CDRW 6x4x24 internal which I can't seem to burn successfully at any rate faster than 2x. I have tried using Nero and CD creater software but get the same results. The OS is W2K, I have two drives installed, a CD-R and the CD-RW (both internal). The CD-R is a slave to drive 0 and the second drive is a slave to thr CD-RW.

Any assistance would be appreciated.
    John

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: CDRW Slow Burn

How are you burning? Are you reading from the 2nd CD drive or from the Hard drive? If you read from a disc in the 2nd CD drive, this would make sense because the burn speed is limited by the speed of the data coming from the 2nd drive.

Also, some CD burning software requires you to run some system tests before being able to burn at higher speeds. And, some other burning software only allows a maximum speed of 1x or 2x for the "demo" version. I don't know if either of these applies to your copy/version of Nero...

Hope this helps

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Mark,

Generally I burn from the hard drive to the CDRW without the test burn process. Unfortunately I only get a successful burn only at 2x (using Nero 5). This makes no sense to me (why so slowwwww....) and if I try it at a faster rate why it would fail.

John

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Could be the media type you're using. Is it rated high enough to handle 10x plus speeds? And is there anything else attached to the IDE chain that the drive lives on?
    -Mark

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Can you clarify what you mean by "Media type you're using". The only other hardware attached to the IDe chain is a hard drive.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Media type meaning the blank CDs themselves. Blank CD media comes rated for a certain speed, and off-brands are almost always trouble too. Make sure that the CDs that you are using are rated for the same speed (or higher) as your CD-RW drive.

If possible, check to see if your IDE drives have DMA enabled in the Device Manager (quick way to get there: Start - Run - DEVMGMT.MSC or right click My Computer and select Properties). That too could be a limiting factor.
    -Mark